This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choosing an external DVD drive for a netbook

On occasion I have the need to access a DVD from a netbook. Of course, netbooks don't have DVD drives. It looks like an external DVD burner may therefore be a good investment. I just looked a bunch of them up and they're pretty affordable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

These days can you pretty much get any external DVD drive and have it plug and play into Kubuntu? I'll be using it both in Kubuntu and when I boot into Windows 7.

I have another use for it as well. I intend to turn my other netbook into a Hackintosh. I've been reading up on how to do it. One way is to buy a regular OS X install disk from Apple and then to use it along with hacks available on the Internet, and voilà, you have a computer that thinks it's a Mac. The other is to download a pre-hacked copy of OS X and make an install DVD. Sounds convenient, but not so legal, so I'll stick with the first method.

In any event, that's the other thing I would need to use the external DVD burner for.

Can you pretty much grab any external DVD burner and have it be Kubuntu compatible or are there certain brands that serve us better?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

I have a Sony external DVD burner for my laptop (because laptop DVD drives are useless and break within months ...). It has been fine.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

See also: External DVD Burners Review 2015
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
        I have a Sony external DVD burner for my laptop (because laptop DVD drives are useless and break within months ...). It has been fine.
        ? ,,,, I have 2 laptops that are over 4 years old and the DVD drives still work just fine ,,,,,,,,,yes they are fragile looking and so I take it real easy on them opening and closing them ......... or am I just lucky

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Nope, your not "just lucky". Both my laptops CD/DVD drives are just fine. I too take care when using them; who wouldn't? My Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 was purchased in 2007 IIRC.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The DVD drive on my L750 Satellite just packed in and i borrowed a Lenovo Slimline drive from work from time to time. That one gets a real hammering there, where i burn up to 40 DVDs at one time. (The boss is too tight to buy a stacker)
            So that is definitly one to consider.

I just bought a Toshiba drive and that feels very flimsy in comparison
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X