This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a new HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j180

Since my HP DV6 is dying. It refuses to turn on in the morning and I am forced to do a hard reset every time I think this is due to the fan running constantly. (This is going to another thread)

Anyway I am thinking of buying a new HP HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j180. I like the specs but have read few desturbing things on the about it with 8K)ubuntu, especially concerning wifi issues.

Has anyone had experience with this lappy or a similar one of any other brand?

Cheers
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

We've had plenty of discussions here about thermal problems on HP laptops. Having witnessed the cooking-to-the-death of two personally, I'd stay away. Also pay attention to Ethernet and wi-fi interfaces. For best Linux compatibility, stick with Intel. Recall that we have a regular stream of issues here on the forum with Realtek, Atheros, and Broadcom.

Comment

I can only speak to my single experience with an HP laptop; my HP Pavilion 1070-us i3. It runs under 100 degrees on the CPU without using a laptop cooler. Now, if I watch videos, then the temp goes up, and if I play graphics games, up higher. But all in all, it actually runs cooler than my Toshiba Satelite Intel core-dual, which consistantly runs at around 110+.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks everyone. I actually had a look at the physical product and not sure I like it. I really want to get away from plastic. I can get a good deal on a macbook pro 15". I always liked their hardware. What do you guys think?
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Wouldn't you also be paying for MacOS, too? Presumably you'd remove that and install Kubuntu

Comment

Yes, I would be paying for and removing mac os. But if I can get great hardware I don't care.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

For that kind of investment I'd look at the best plastic you can get, Lenovo.

Or maybe a Toshiba Tecra.

Comment

Working...
              X