This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not require a password to login after reboot

I just set up Kubuntu 14.10 beta, how can I set it up to not require a password when booting up (after a restart). I want to start or reboot the PC and it NOT to ask for a user name/password, just go right in.

Thanks AJ

I've been wrestling this for days....I’m trying to achieve one of two things:
    (Kubuntu 14.10 and KDE 5 plasma)

1) Have Real VNC server start up when Kubuntu 14.10 boots up, before the login screen.
    If this happens I can ReanVNC into Kubuntu, and put in the password, and go on
    Or
    2) Have Kubuntu skip the need for a login password (Autologin) and go straight in to the desktop

If you go to

www.aanning.com/2/

I have a KU.doc file that describes what Ive tried with screen shots.

If not comfortable opening a strange .doc file in this directory I have it in PDF format
    KU.pdf or in htm format KU.htm and all of the .jpg screen shots are also in this directory.

If anyone has ideas on how I can achieve 1 or 2 above, please let me know.

I'm not sure if I will be notified when there are any responses, my email is

Janning197@aol.com

Thanks AJ

Comment

Edit or create the file /etc/sddm.conf and add this:

Code:
      [Autologin]
      User=$USERNAME
      Session=plasma.desktop
      Substitute your user name for $USERNAME

Comment

Finally!!! It works....you would not believe the hours and efforts, and 3 other forums that got no where. I knew what to put,,,,just now "where"
        Everyone kept, talking about configuring files for LightDM ! I didn't have that installed.

I assume KDE 5 "plasma"....is used in place of LightDM ?

I was very through in explaining I have kubuntu 14.10 latest ver. and KDE 5 plasma....yet all everyone spoke of ....LightDM config files.

Now I just, an hour ago installed LightDM (before your suggestion) rebooted several times....didn't see a difference or anywhere I can choose between plasma or LightDM....looks like it did nothing....so I'm going to leave it installed unless someone suggest I uninstall?
        I've rebooted several times know....by sddm.conf (had to create one)..works GREAT!It goes rite in, RealVNC starts up, and I can access the Kubuntu now from my laptop.
        Thanks so much! AJ

Comment

Plasma 5 uses the new sddm login manager, as opposed to the usual LightDM. The regular 14.10 uses LightDM, it is only the experimental, tech-preview Plasma 5 that is using sddm, so it is very understandable that you are finding vastly more info about lightdm.

Usually when you install a new login manager, you would be prompted for which one to use - the new one, or the current one, or any others you have installed - there a small number of them, really. It is perfectly fine to keep any of them installed if you wish, they just aren't being used.

Comment

Hi,

Well, this "was"working fine. I've been doing regular
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get upgrade
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

While keeping an eye on sddm.conf file....its still there contents unchanged, however, no more auto login!
            any suggestions?

Thanks AJ

Comment

Probably a bug, as there was a new sddm recently updated. It may be that the configuration file location may have changed, but don't hold me to that
              My sddm didn't work at all after the update, the joys of testing out new stuff :cool::eek:
              I have not had time to look at it at all, and won't be able to for a few days

You might need to file a bug, but one option that might be useful if you absolutely require autologin on your testing rig is to install lightdm-kde-greeter and use that instead.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like all that really matters

Comment

Or as an alternative for my end goal, is there a way in kubuntu, like in windows, to add an .exe file to a startup config, or folder, so the app will start up and run, for all users, before the login screen?

Comment

maybe in the rc.local file? but what is the exact syntax to start "vncserver-x11" ?

Comment

rc.local is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel, which may not be what you want (the command could run more than once).

What is your actual end goal here? That's usually the better thing to describe.

Comment

I use RealVNC to tunnel into all my PC, this is the only non-windows box. If RealVNC is not running till "after" login I have to get up, go to my kubuntu box login, and then I can get in. Auto login skipped the password (the login screen) and started the desktop and REAL VNC...which was good. So if I can autologin...that works, or as with my windows PC's realVNC starts before the login, so I can reboot, tunnel in.....login ...and go.

Comment

Well, I've not used RealVNC so I can't offer suggestions on the specifics. However, this looks like it has some useful links:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...c+before+login

Comment

Originally posted by Janning View Post
                          I just set up Kubuntu 14.10 beta, how can I set it up to not require a password when booting up (after a restart). I want to start or reboot the PC and it NOT to ask for a user name/password, just go right in.

Thanks AJ
                          Go into the settings section and choose user management and click on the user you want to change, in there is the option to logon after boot, I do this for xbmc where it auto logs into my pc and launches the media centre

Comment

This does not work, I've been trying that, the settings (checkbox) will show checked, then apply, save, exit out.....go back in...and they are gone.

Thanks AJ

Comment

http://linux.about.com/od/kubuntu_doc/a/kubudg35t03.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X