This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Two Problems with Utopic

I have now installed Utopic on my Laptop which is my main computer. There are two features which annoy me and I do not know how to solve them.

The first is that my Login screen is on my secondary screen and my primary screen is black. I would prefer the Login screen to be either on my primary Laptop display or on both. How can this be arranged?

My second problem is that every time I boot, I can only connect to my wireless network after I enter a password. On Saucy the Network Manager had a Spanner Icon which allowed me to Edit Connections so that I could set the option to automatically connect to the network when available. This feature is not available on Utopic. Is there any way to activate this option?

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    My second problem is that every time I boot, I can only connect to my wireless network after I enter a password. On Saucy the Network Manager had a Spanner Icon which allowed me to Edit Connections so that I could set the option to automatically connect to the network when available. This feature is not available on Utopic. Is there any way to activate this option?
    Edit connections is still available from the right top corner of the plasma networkmanagement widget popup. (If you don't see the icon you might be using an old incompatible plasma theme, but the button if still there even if the icon is not shown)

Comment

Thanks very much kubicle. Looks like I have to do something to cure my Male Blindness.

One of the lists of things to do when I put in a new system is, to sudo copy the contents of the directory /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ into my home directory and after installation, copy the contents back. One problem that I have is that the passwords must be stored somewhere else. I am wondering if you know where they are stored, so that I do not have to ask for the passwords again?

Comment

NetworkManager stores wi-fi passwords in your KDE Wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          NetworkManager stores wi-fi passwords in your KDE Wallet.
          I have a love/hate relationship with KDE Wallet and I always have it disabled. I am wondering if, in this case, it still stores the Network Manager passwords, and if so, are these stored in the home partition or the root partition. I suspect the latter and I would like to know where it is stored for future installations.

Sorry I took so long to reply as I have been busy solving my NVIDIA problems.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            I have a love/hate relationship with KDE Wallet and I always have it disabled. I am wondering if, in this case, it still stores the Network Manager passwords, and if so, are these stored in the home partition or the root partition. I suspect the latter and I would like to know where it is stored for future installations.
            I'm not sure, really -- I haven't explored where NM stores passwords when no Wallet is in use.

You can turn your love/hate relationship into one of pure love by simply not putting a password on your Wallet file. Access control is still limited -- only your user account has access to your wallet. You aren't opening it up to the world.

Comment

Interesting. I don't have kwallet either. This is on Trusty, not Utopic:

If a connection has the "Available to all users" box checked, then the password is in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.

If that box is not checked, I have no idea. Can't find it anywhere in /home.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                Interesting. I don't have kwallet either. This is on Trusty, not Utopic:

If a connection has the "Available to all users" box checked, then the password is in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.

If that box is not checked, I have no idea. Can't find it anywhere in /home.
                Before updating to Utopic, I sudo copied all the contents of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections into my home directory. I always have the box checked for "Available to all users". After installing Utopic I copied the contents back into /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections and I still had to specify the password to make a connection. So I did not find that the passwords are stored with these connections.

Comment

Working...
                X