This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with Kaffeine

Are here any members who know how to bring Kaffeine back to running?

My big problem in short:

Hello
    First, I am still with Kubuntu 14.04-5 and the version on Kaffeine is Version 1.3-git, KDE 4.13.3, I am using the PPA from aap-kaffeine-trusty.
    I reinstalled my Operating System due to various reason. I keep it on a SSD, and all my date on seperate 4 HDs.

Up to now when I wanted to watch Satellite TV I had no problems. But since this new installation, I get nothing. I can not even make a search as there is no list of the satellites at all. I am aware, to do a search of all channels, the interface from Kaffeine has to be closed.

I made a picture to illustrate this: open Kaffeine and, on the menu choose TV/Fernsehen, then on Channels/Kanäle. Now, concentrate on the middle column. On top you are told that you are at the Channel Search/Kanalsuche. Quelle means search. But in that field just under «Source» is usually a list with all the Satellites and their channels. But this list is missing. Consequently I can not start the search with the following bit. Of course, the firmware is correctly installed. The decoder card is from TechnoTrend.

Please open the link, there is a screen shot from my situation.

Many thanks for your support.
    Attached Files
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Kaffeine needs compatible DVB drivers to see your tuner card.

Try using another progam to test like me-tv. me-tv is in the repositories I believe.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I had it working without a problem on my 14.04-5 since umteen years until I had to reinstall the same distro. I could understand if it would be a Plama5 problem, but not this one.
      However, I will try the idea with me-tv.
      Last edited by Arran; Jan 27, 2018, 07:37 AM.
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        Thank you for your response. I had it working without a problem on my 14.04-5 since umteen years until I had to reinstall the same distro. I could understand if it would be a Plama5 problem, but not this one.
        However, I will try the idea with me-tv.
        14.04.5 and 14.04 don't use the same kernel.

Comment

I DID use the newest kernels I am getting from the disto-upgrades. Do you think this could be the problem?

Do you mean with «compatible DVB drivers» the firmware? This is properly installed at «/lib/firmware/» the name of the file: «dvb-ttpci-01.fw».

Comment

See if this helps

https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/DVB-Karten/

Also did me-tv work? If it does, its not a driver problem.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bin gerade dabei, danke.

No, I have not yet found the time to do the me-to test. It will probably be after Wednesday, as I have one of the worlds most important job to do: finishing my taxreturn...

Comment

I am studying Ubuntuusers.de, which brought me to the idea that perhaps my TechnoTrend card is not recognised at all, and the fault is not with Kaffeine but with the hardware.
                How can I check, if the card is working?

Comment

Well I found the command lspci and tryed the outcome. The manufacturer of the card is TechnoTrend and it is at least 12 years old or elder, can't find any documents...

Here the result:

arran@kubu-14-04:~$ lspci
                  00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
                  00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0)
                  00:09.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 4)
                  00:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 5)
                  00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 40)
                  00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
                  00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
                  00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
                  00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
                  00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

[AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42)
                  00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller (rev 40)
                  00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
                  00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
                  00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
                  00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
                  00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
                  00:15.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
                  00:16.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
                  00:16.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
                  00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

[AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
                  00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
                  00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
                  00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
                  00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
                  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] (rev a1)
                  02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6315 Series Firewire Controller
                  02:00.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6415 PATA IDE Host Controller (rev a0)
                  03:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
                  04:07.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
                  05:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 9215 (rev 11)
                  06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
                  arran@kubu-14-04:~$

Comment

Does
                    sudo lshw
                    show it?
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You can check according to the article if you have a device listed in /dev/dvb

If the kernel module is loaded and the device is recognized any program like me-tv, vdr or tv headend will see it.

Automatisch¶

Wenn die Karte vom System automatisch erkannt wird, werden die notwendigen Treiber geladen und die entsprechenden Gerätedateien im Verzeichnis /dev/dvb/adapter0 angelegt:

demux0

dvr0

frontend0

net0

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                        I am studying Ubuntuusers.de, which brought me to the idea that perhaps my TechnoTrend card is not recognised at all, and the fault is not with Kaffeine but with the hardware.
                        How can I check, if the card is working?
                        This site mentions TechnoTrend devices compatible with Linux
                        http://nucblog.net/2014/12/recommend...ers-for-linux/
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks.
                          Daft as I am, I did not read my notes about Installing Kaffeine. My shame! I completely forgot to select the Satellites. From then on it was a kid's game to install the channels from the 2 Satellites.

However, I now don't get either picture nor sound. Here is the latest Diagnostic log:

19:26:08 VlcMediaWidget::setVolume: cannot set volume 100
                          19:26:08 DvbManager::loadDeviceManager: using built-in dvb device manager
                          19:26:10 DvbLinuxDevice::startDevice: found dvb device "P1131714613c2000e" 47 "ST STV0299 DVB-S"
                          19:26:12 DvbLinuxDevice::tune: DvbS "S 993750 H 22000000 5/6"
                          19:26:13 DvbDevice::frontendEvent: tuning failed

Any suggestions?

Comment

Ok try this. Use kaffeine to make a recording. Then use another program like VLC to see if you can view the recorded file.

Comment

How would I do a recording when I have no audio of video playing?

Comment

Working...
                              X