This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrolling In Okular is Jumpy

Always has been. I prefer smooth. Using a wireless mouse. Mouse settings had no effect. I can open a pdf file in Chrome and it will scroll smoothly. Prefer not to open in browser. Is there a fix or alternative app for 14.04? Thanks.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Okular (0.25.0) in 16.04 works well for me. Maybe a distro upgrade will help.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
      Always has been. I prefer smooth. Using a wireless mouse. Mouse settings had no effect. I can open a pdf file in Chrome and it will scroll smoothly. Prefer not to open in browser. Is there a fix or alternative app for 14.04? Thanks.
      I'm still using 14.04 here and I wouldn't say the scrolling in Okular is completely smooth but any jumpy movement is not that noticeable, to me at least.

I'm attaching screenshots of my settings in Okular for a comparison with yours. I know I changed the Memory Usage setting in the Performance Tuning section to "Aggressive" some time ago because (if I recall correctly) it was a little "jumpy" as it was loading in another section of the PDF into memory off the hard drive. That setting may be worth changing if you haven't already tried that. If you have 8Gb of memory (in your sig) you should be OK with "Aggressive" too I would think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Okular - General Settings.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	643661Click image for larger version

Name:	Okular - Performance Tuning.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	643662
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks Rod J. I'll try that. Thank you too jglen490 but at the moment I'll stay with 14.04.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

That's cool! I enjoyed Trusty while I had it also. I'm just a sucker for an LTS
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Tried changing the settings and then some. No difference. Not a major deal however at times I need a smooth scroll so that it scrolls up/down a small amount. It won't there I slide over to the scroll bar and manually drag the page up or down.

Must have overlooked it the other day. I just changed the "Mouse wheel scrolls by" setting from an [8] value to a [2] value. Much better. Funny thing, it doesn't impact anything with Chrome or when I'm scrolling with my folders such as Home>Documents> and so on. Thanks for your help guys.

HP15 -

Comment

Working...
            X