• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    Rod, you mean this? -->
    https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/
    I.e., the .deb for Linux?
    Yep, that's it ... skypeforlinux-64.deb.

Seems to be working perfectly here on both laptop and desktop. I haven't tried all the functions yet, but so far, so good.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks, Rod.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Rod, so, OK, the skypeforlinux-64.deb works here on my 14.04--texting and video calls. To sign in, I had to give my email which MS had me provide as their MS log-in. After giving my email, I was asked to provide my regular Skype password (that I had been using these past few years on previous Skype versions I got through the repositories-Muon). One thing I am NOT complaining about ... is that the skypeforlinux-64 automatically detected and set up my hardware (mic and web cam), and it worked the first time (no testing and tweaking required from me). It set itself up in my K > apps > Internet menu, too. Apart from MS's association here, I'm happy that this Skype just works great. Thanks, again, for your tips.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It's skypeforlinux-64.deb I installed too. As Rod J predicted, it works fine after a restart.

But what is this keyring thing it asks about?
          'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
            But what is this keyring thing it asks about?
            Yeah, I get that too, even though I've always had the KDE wallet subsystem disabled.

I've just restarted several times in Kubuntu 14.04 and every time this *&^*^#@ popup dialog comes up "Enter password to unlock your login keyring".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu 14-04 (Trusty) new Skype login problem - Keyring dialog.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	643684

Skype is causing this as it won't login until you relent and type your user password into the keyring box. I also see that there is a process running called "gnome-keyring-daemon" which I'm sure wasn't running before.

Damn Skype, we don't want Gnome stuff running unnecessarily here in our pristine KDE Plasma!
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I've restarted 14.04 and have not gotten the key ring pop-up dialog, fyi. What DOES happen, though, is that upon re-starting the PC, when 14.04 starts and the desktop appears, Skype automatically pops up, asking me for a log-in! That's MS for ya.

Comment

I had this problem some time ago and I was advised to install gnome-keyring. I hope that this works for you as well.

BTW: Don't use version 8.12.76.2 as it doesn't work with sound. I am patiently waiting for MS to fix this problem.
                Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 02, 2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  Damn Skype, we don't want Gnome stuff running unnecessarily here in our pristine KDE Plasma!
                  Amen to that!
                  'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

The MS developer "JonasT" recommended that only libsecret needed to be installed to solve the login problem. I already had libsecret installed, so in desperation I installed the Gnome stuff.

Comment

I seem to be getting different behaviour between my desktop (Kubuntu 14.04 - auto login enabled) and my laptop (Mint KDE 18.2 - auto login disabled).

My desktop is causing the keyring issue with Skype (8.11.04) but the laptop Skype (same version) is neither prompting for the keyring password and Skype is logging in as it should automatically.

I think the simplest solution might be to change my desktop to auto login disabled (so I will need to supply my password on desktop login) and then Skype should start and login without complaint. I will report back if that solution doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        BTW: Don't use version 8.12.76.2 as it doesn't work with sound. I am patiently waiting for MS to fix this problem.
                        I have just been updated with Version 8.12.76.7 and all the problems that I had with sound have been fixed. I also think that problems reported for other Linux distributions may have been fixed as I have not had a truckload of complaints from the Skypeforlinux forum.

I will be interested to know if others on this forum find this version better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                          ... you can use Wire (wire.com use their repository, not the ubuntu one)...
                          This was the most useful post I've read anywhere lately! I've been using/fighting Skype for years, mostly to communicate with a friend in another country. We gave Wire a try, starting a couple weeks ago, and it has been more stable than Skype ever was. Skype stopped recognizing my ancient Logitech USB webcam some time ago, but Wire has zero issues with that or my sound system. Thank you very much!

Comment

I just installed wire on my iPad. I didn’t find it as intuitive as I expected or desired, but I might have been expecting to much (it’s what I do). I requested my account be deleted, but I’ll keep the app installed for now. I guess I need to see it in action, so I need to know the Wire username of someone using it here. (@Don, care to email me your Wire username? I’ll create another account when I get it.)
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I looked at the Wire website, I assumed that it would not work with someone using Skype. I assumed that it would only work with those who use Wire.

All the friends that I have are on MS Windows and use Skype. Therefore, I will stay with Skype. I found that the latest version will only work correctly with gnome-keyring installed. I hope MS fixes that limitation in the next release as all those using KDE are not keen on installing a gnome equivalent to kwallet.

I am very pleased that the latest version of Skypeforlinux finally gives excellent video and sound quality.

Comment

All the friends that I have are on MS Windows and use Skype. Therefore, I will stay with Skype.
                                And that is my situation, too. Maybe I need to meet a "special" friend and she and I establish a Wire together. That's what I need--At age 68 to find Trouble. Like a hole in the head. Better stick to my popular cosmology books for recreation.

As the OP, I find this ongoing discussion very informative and helpful and so appreciate everyone's continuing input.

Comment

Working...
                                X