This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware and security updates on 14.04 LTS

I've been seeing the following message for some time now, what I don't understand is if Ubuntu 14.04 LTS means that it is (supposed to be) supported for 5 years then why end some updates as highlighted in the image?

If Ubuntu has stopped supporting some elements of an LTS then is really "long term support"?
    Attached Files
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

14.04 is an LTS and supported until 2019 ,,,, IF you keep up the HWE ,,,,,,,,,,see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEn...Kernel_Support

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL

Basically enable the Xenial HWE stack for 14.0r to keep getting kernel and driver support. All other software is still supported till 2019

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        And https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL

Basically enable the Xenial HWE stack for 14.0r to keep getting kernel and driver support. All other software is still supported till 2019

Hummm ,,,,wile your link dose give more info on it ,,,,,,mine dose give a one liner install that can be copy pasted into the terminal to get it for 14.04 .

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          Hummm ,,,,wile your link dose give more info on it ,,,,,,mine dose give a one liner install that can be copy pasted into the terminal to get it for 14.04 .

VINNY
          Yeah, I was looking at this during my break and had collected some links, this one was from the warning pop-up so I figured I'd add it for informational purposes.

It isn't totally clear if I'm right or not here but it seems that 14.04.0/1404.1 itself is LTS but once newer point releases are pushed out ( which have an HWE enabled by default) the kernels and related drivers have limited lifespans if the particular Ubuntu release the HWE is from is EOL.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Yeah, I was looking at this during my break and had collected some links, this one was from the warning pop-up so I figured I'd add it for informational purposes.

It isn't totally clear if I'm right or not here but it seems that 14.04.0/1404.1 itself is LTS but once newer point releases are pushed out ( which have an HWE enabled by default) the kernels and related drivers have limited lifespans if the particular Ubuntu release the HWE is from is EOL.

yes I think thats correct ,,,,,,from what I've read

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
            X