This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Widget Dead

The weather widget that is part of KDE called Weather Forecast v1.0 by Shawn Starr, has not been working since I installed 14.04. It is pulling data from the NOAA site I asked it to and always has the correct info on startup. It is set to update every 30 minutes but never updates, no matter what. I will have the sun icon at 3am unless I log out and in again. Super annoying since it was so nice to use in 12.04. I started a bug report but that's not ever going to be addressed, it's 14.04 and we are just dead to the developers at this point.

Yesterday, 8/19/17, it actually worked all day. It was really nice, but today it is broken again. This sits on my panel, not in my systray. I've tried the LCD Weather version, and it behaves the same. I have no other issues with my wifi or any other broken parts of KDE.

Is there a setting that could be blocking it? Why would it work only once and it's broken again? I have not had any updates that occurred between the time it worked and broke again. Any thoughts? And I am only interested in getting this widget working, not replacing it with a different widget like yawp.
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Have you checked your logs for any msgs related to your problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

maybe the weather sources used have changed or updated how they allow access to their data?

Was this widget installed by default, or from the repos or via the install new widgets tool? I am not anywhere near a 14.04 system but I can't recall one being installed by default, else I always had to install a usable one. I am having a tough time determining which of the many weather widgets this is to see exactly how old the code is.

Comment

Ok again...

WHY has this occurred?

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It's not dead. It just doesn't come preloaded with weather sources like it used to. One source I used was Wetter.com.

I went out to that website and put "Lincoln, NE" into the search bar. It displayed Lincoln's weather. From the Lincoln weather URL:
          http://www.wetter.com/vereinigte_sta...US0NE0283.html

I copied US0NE0283 and entered it into the Plasmoid search bar, and Lincoln appeared among the popups. I selected it and clicked Apply. My weather showed on the app.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Have you checked your logs for any msgs related to your problem?
            Nothing looks out of the ordinary unless I am missing something.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            maybe the weather sources used have changed or updated how they allow access to their data?

Was this widget installed by default, or from the repos or via the install new widgets tool? I am not anywhere near a 14.04 system but I can't recall one being installed by default, else I always had to install a usable one. I am having a tough time determining which of the many weather widgets this is to see exactly how old the code is.
            Sources are unknown, it defaults to Wetter.com. It's hit and miss if NOAA comes up or not. If you get a NOAA listing and change it, you may only get WETTER choices the next time, very buggy.
            The widget is installed as part of KDE4 desktop on all Kubuntu systems. There is also one called LCD that is a standard widget choice. You can install them in systray, on desktop, or on the panel like I do.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Ok again...
            WHY has this occurred?
            woodsmoke
            I don't know. It has been completely broken and suddenly "woke up". Global warming maybe? O_o

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            It's not dead. It just doesn't come preloaded with weather sources like it used to. One source I used was Wetter.com.

I went out to that website and put "Lincoln, NE" into the search bar. It displayed Lincoln's weather. From the Lincoln weather URL:
            http://www.wetter.com/vereinigte_sta...US0NE0283.html

I copied US0NE0283 and entered it into the Plasmoid search bar, and Lincoln appeared among the popups. I selected it and clicked Apply. My weather showed on the app.
            I use a NOAA station. Wetter is not always right for me. If I can get it to "see" the NOAA site it will stay in there just fine. In the past (on 12.04) I would just log out if it ever had an issue, because sometimes NOAA not connecting. I know that it does pull data from NOAA because every time I start up, it's there and correct. It just will not update ever after that. Like it's being blocked from accessing the internet after it's initial check at startup.

I wanted to wait 24 hours before coming back to this thread because I thought maybe it would start updating again. I am sure I did something like log out 3x in a row and thought that might have stopped or started something from running that may have been blocking it? Or dislodged the bug temporarily? Who knows, it's got to be global warming's fault! O_o

Today still broken. And I have 14.04 on 2 laptops, broken there as well, all 3 computers set up almost identical.

The fact that it only worked once, and it began working after 10pm, when it was not working earlier in the day, is what confuses me. I logged out at that time and in. And I am configured to always use a new session at log in. It worked for hours, but the next day at start up we were back to the frozen state.

So confused.

Comment

OK...so...

JUST HOW MUCH EFFORT DOES IT TAKE A DEVELOPER TO ..."preload it"...

COMPARED TO THE THOUSANDS OF HOURS THAT LINUX PEOPLE WASTE as in WASTE...

on getting it to run.,...

A LONG HISTORY IN LINUX...the developer makes it...

HEY LOOK AT ME!!!

and then...because he has to sip his whine and munch his brie and contemplate his navel...

HE WALKS OFF AND LEAVES THE USERS...

IN THE LURCH...

woodwhatabunchof@#$%smoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Eol

Originally posted by citizen View Post
                The weather widget that is part of KDE called Weather Forecast v1.0 by Shawn Starr, has not been working since I installed 14.04. It is pulling data from the NOAA site I asked it to and always has the correct info on startup. It is set to update every 30 minutes but never updates, no matter what. I will have the sun icon at 3am unless I log out and in again. Super annoying since it was so nice to use in 12.04. I started a bug report but that's not ever going to be addressed, it's 14.04 and we are just dead to the developers at this point.

Yesterday, 8/19/17, it actually worked all day. It was really nice, but today it is broken again. This sits on my panel, not in my systray. I've tried the LCD Weather version, and it behaves the same. I have no other issues with my wifi or any other broken parts of KDE.

Is there a setting that could be blocking it? Why would it work only once and it's broken again? I have not had any updates that occurred between the time it worked and broke again. Any thoughts? And I am only interested in getting this widget working, not replacing it with a different widget like yawp.
                The plasma 4 and it's components has been unmaintained for years and is
                EOL ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-life_(product) ).

The weather forecast was ported to the plasma 5.6: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=131893
                Last edited by Rog131; Aug 24, 2017, 02:37 AM.
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                  The plasma 4 and it's components has been unmaintained for years and is
                  EOL ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-life_(product) ).

The weather forecast was ported to the plasma 5.6: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=131893
                  I am well aware that KDE4 has been abandoned. And until 14.04LTS is dead I will wait for all the KDE5 bugs to be ironed out (been there, done that with 4).
                  The whole point of this thread is... why is my weather widget not updating. It works anytime I start up, or log in, then is in stasis until reboot or log in again. What is blocking it's normal update behavior? I doubt the developers blocked it on purpose. I do know they blocked freedesktop.org though.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
                    I am well aware that KDE4 has been abandoned...why is my weather widget not updating. It works anytime I start up, or log in, then is in stasis until reboot or log in again. What is blocking it's normal update behavior? I doubt the developers blocked it on purpose...
                    My uneducated guess is that this is a case of the code rot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot
                    Software rot, also known as code rot, bit rot, software erosion, software decay or software entropy describes the perceived "rot" which is either a slow deterioration of software performance over time or its diminishing responsiveness that will eventually lead to software becoming faulty, unusable, or otherwise called "legacy" and in need of upgrade. This is not a physical phenomenon: the software does not actually decay, but rather suffers from a lack of being responsive and updated with respect to the changing environment in which it resides.
                    The weather widget (through the dataengine) is retrieving the data from the internet (changing environment).

You could try to debug the widget by launching it with the 'plasma-windowed' or 'plasmoidviewer': Launching the plasma widgets from the konsole - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post342236 .
                    Last edited by Rog131; Aug 26, 2017, 05:59 AM.
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                    X