This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Mark on my Network Icon ?

Yes, I was playing with the /etc/network/interfaces file to get a static IP address for my computer. I also played with the Network manager thinking they were linked in some way. After not getting internet access, I quickly went back to original file, and deleted the network connection I created in the Network manager. Anyway, I now have connectivity, but there's a question mark on my network icon (see attached png).

I did search for answers before posting and I found this closed thread:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...+question+mark

The linked thread caused more questions than answers for me. I would like to see the status of my internet connection in real time. With that in mind, I don't care if it's Network Manager or some other app that displays the correct information.
    Attached Files
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

By static address I am assuming you mean a LAN address and not a WAN address.
    The best way to create a static LAN address is to edit your router (not WAN modem) and assign your 192.168.1.x address to the MAC address of your eth or wifi chip. I assigned 192.168.1.100 to my eth MAC address so I could open port 25565 to my LAN address so my grandson could connect to my Mincraft server.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAC_address.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	643554

Click image for larger version

Name:	Minecraft_port_forward.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	643555

If you mean WAN address you'll have to procure that from your local ISP. Usually for a fee.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X