This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every Package I Select in to Install in Synaptic is Broken

I don't understand what happened. I've reloaded the repositories and issued the 'update' command, but all the packages I select to install from Synaptic displays a red box and under properties, the status = Broken. In the status bar, on the bottom left of the Synaptic panel, it states:

5 packages listed, 2788 installed, 1 broken, 3 to install/upgrade, 0 to remove; 10.3 MB will be used

I was trying to install bluefish at the time. The confusing thing is it doesn't matter what I try to install, I get the same '1 broken...' status display.

I've been using Kubuntu for some time now and I'm happy to say that due to my experience with this OS, I'm sure, whatever broke, is a direct or indirect result of me doing something I should not have done (assume humble and self-deprecating grin here).

What exactly is wrong and how do I fix it?

Here's what happens when I try to install a package from the terminal:

Code:
    mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-get install bluefish
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    bluefish : Depends: bluefish-plugins (= 2.2.5-1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    mark@AMD64-LTS:~$
    I get the same error on all terminal install attempts.
    Last edited by mhumm2; May 07, 2017, 08:04 AM.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Try this in a terminal session -

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    That should identify and hopefully fix the broken package.

Hope this helps -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Thank you wizard10000, but I get the same terminal warning:

Code:
      mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-get -f install bluefish
      Building dependency tree       

bluefish : Depends: bluefish-plugins (= 2.2.5-1) but it is not going to be installed
      Please understand, I don't believe this has anything to do with Bluefish. It happens with every install I attempt from: terminal, Synaptic, and deb installer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	deb install error.png
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	643508
      Last edited by mhumm2; May 07, 2017, 08:07 AM.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Try it without the bluefish.

Code:
        sudo apt-get -f install
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

And, also use
          dpgk --configure -a
          along with
          apt-get install -f

Repeat those two several times.

Another thing to try is to comment out lines in the source.list file, do an apt-get update, and retry those two commands. Keep commenting and updating and using those commands until the errors quit. Then uncomment those commented lines one at a time, redoing that fix sequence after each uncomment & update.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank. As a matter of fact there were 2 source list entries that could not be found and I did comment them out from Synaptic. Here's what I get from the terminal commands:

Code:
            M:confused:ark@AMD64-LTS:~$ dpgk --configure -a
            No command 'dpgk' found, did you mean:
            Command 'dpkg' from package 'dpkg' (main)
            dpgk: command not found
            mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo dpgk --configure -a
            sudo: dpgk: command not found

mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
            Building dependency tree       
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 314 not upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              And, also use
              dpgk --configure -a
              along with
              apt-get install -f

Repeat those two several times.

Another thing to try is to comment out lines in the source.list file, do an apt-get update, and retry those two commands. Keep commenting and updating and using those commands until the errors quit. Then uncomment those commented lines one at a time, redoing that fix sequence after each uncomment & update.
              that was a typo ,,,,it should be "dpkg" ,,,,so
              Code:
              sudo dpkg --configure -a
              VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinnywright. That helped. The dpkg command is just processed and the user prompt echoes for the next command. the apt-get -f install responds the same way I cited above, everytime. The update command goes through all my sources list without a single error, but Synaptic still shows any package I select to install as broken.

Comment

try to install one on the command line and lets see the errors ,,,,

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install somepackage
                  where "somepackage" is the name of the package you want

have you added any PPA's to your system's sources.list or sources.list.d

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I gotta tell you guys, this is getting very old, very quickly. What the hell is the problem?

Code:
                    mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-get install 0ad
                    Building dependency tree       

0ad : Depends: 0ad-data-common (>= 0.0.15) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: 0ad-data-common (< 0.0.16) but it is not going to be installed

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
                      I gotta tell you guys, this is getting very old, very quickly. What the hell is the problem?

Code:
                      mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-get install 0ad
                      Building dependency tree       

0ad : Depends: 0ad-data-common (>= 0.0.15) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: 0ad-data-common (< 0.0.16) but it is not going to be installed
                      It looks like you may have deleted some critical system libraries.
                      Clean the apt cache
                      $ sudo apt-get clean
                      and then redo the sequence
                      sudo apt install -f
                      sudo dpkg --configure -a

several times.

You can use apt-cache depends (or rdepends) to see a listing of files a package depends on, or on which other packages depend. This may help you find which libraries or dependencies may be missing. Knowing that, the trick will be to install them. That may amount to unzipping the package and pulling them out and placing them where they are supposed to be.

PS- I'm "getting old" too (76) and one lesson I've learned is that getting angry rarely solves problems.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm not angry, just frustrated. I've been using Kubuntu for 10 years now and I'm tired of being a "user." I've come to the realization that I need to learn more about how it works. What would you suggest? In the mean time, I'll try your suggestion and post the outcome. Cheers!

Comment

I'm not angry, just frustrated. I've been using Kubuntu for 10 years now and I'm tired of being a "user." I've come to the realization that I need to learn more about how it works. What would you suggest? In the mean time, I'll try your suggestion and post the outcome. Cheers!
                          Good!

You are running kubuntu 14.04, which is only half-way to systemd.

WIth Kubuntu 16.04 (or Neon User Edition), you are presented with three basic technologies: dpkg, systemd and the plasma desktop.

Learning the plasma desktop is just getting to know the particular apps you run, including apt (or apt-get).

The best way to learn the dpkg packaging system is its man page and Internet tutorials that give MORE detail on specifics. Check your version and make sure the tutorial is about that version or higher.

Systemd is the new guy on the block. You can start with a basic tutorial like this one and search for other bits and pieces related to Ubuntu based distros that are less than a year old. You will want to reach a level of knowledge where most of the maintenance you do on your installation is done with systemd tools. Applications that haven't or won't integrate with systemd probably won't work very well in the future as systemd gains more control over everything. Sometime in the future a Linux distro will be three basic parts: the kernel, systemd and the desktop, and all management will be done through systemd gui's and tools.

Comment

Very interesting GreyGeek,

I'll take a look at the systemd tutorial.

Anyway, back to my current, system, I can't imagine how I would have deleted any system files. The only way I delete something is via Synaptic, or sudo apt-get remove.

Code:
                            Mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-get clean
                            [sudo] password for mark: 
                            mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt install -f
                            Building dependency tree       
                            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 19 not upgraded.
                            mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
                            mark@AMD64-LTS:~$
                            I just picked the first package in Synaptic to install from the terminal so I used it to see if there were any problems with its dependencies.
                            Code:
                            mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-cache depends 0ad
                            0ad
                             Depends: 0ad-data
                             Depends: 0ad-data-common
                             Depends: 0ad-data-common
                             Depends: libboost-filesystem1.54.0
                             Depends: libc6
                             Depends: libcurl3-gnutls
                             Depends: libenet2a
                             Depends: libgcc1
                            |Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-wily
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial
                             Depends: <libgl1>
                               libgl1-mesa-glx
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-wily
                               libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial
                             Depends: libgloox11
                             Depends: libjpeg8
                             Depends: libminiupnpc8
                             Depends: libmozjs185-1.0
                             Depends: libnvtt2
                             Depends: libopenal1
                             Depends: libpng12-0
                             Depends: libsdl1.2debian
                             Depends: libstdc++6
                             Depends: libvorbisfile3
                             Depends: libwxbase3.0-0
                             Depends: libwxgtk3.0-0
                             Depends: libx11-6
                             Depends: libxcursor1
                             Depends: libxml2
                             Depends: zlib1g
                             PreDepends: dpkg
                               dpkg:i386
                             Conflicts: 0ad:i386
                            What's the conflict about with 0ad:i386?

Comment

I just picked the first package in Synaptic to install from the terminal so I used it to see if there were any problems with its dependencies.
                              Code:
                              mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ sudo apt-cache depends 0ad
                              0ad
                               PreDepends: dpkg
                                 dpkg:i386
                               Conflicts: 0ad:i386
                              What's the conflict about with 0ad:i386?
                              Ubuntu (Kubuntu, etc...) has multi-architecture (multiarch) capability which, for now, means i386 and amd64. The ability to run i386 (32bit) apps AND amd64 (64bit) apps on the same system. Generally, you can run 32bit apps on an amd64 system, but you cannot run 64bit apps on an i386 system. Some apps allow both of their versions to be installed. The "Conflicts: 0ad:i386" means that you should not install the 32 bit AND the 64 bit version of 0ad on the same system. You'll end up breaking one or both versions.

Note that aptitude cannot handle conflicts with multiarch enabled. It's best to stick with apt-get.

32bit packages are fading away as the older PCs wear out. I have not enabled i386 because I haven't found a 32 bit package that I need. I've always been able to find pkgs for amd64 that do what I need.
                              IF you want to enable i386 and populate your system with ia-32 libraries the instructions are here.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; May 12, 2017, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X