This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kazam and File Formats

I found it difficult to locate a suitable forum for this post.

I am using kubuntu 14.04 and have kazam installed.

The programme works well but produces mp4 files that are large. I would like to produce videos that are much smaller, typically the size of flv files.

Can anyone advise.

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

You can convert MP4 to FLV using FFMPEG.
    From Stackoverflow:
    Here are two command lines to help you do that; I'm currently using them myself (you can adjust them to your needs too) :

ffmpeg -i source.mp4 -c:v libx264 -crf 19 destinationfile.flv

and if the first one doesn't work :

ffmpeg -i source.mp4 -c:v libx264 -ar 22050 -crf 28 destinationfile.flv

Please note that -crf XX is the quality of the video you will create. It's between 0 and 51 (but between 17 and 23 is a reasonable range and the lower the number is, the better quality the video is going to be).

The -ar 22050 is for adjusting the audio sample range (audio quality). You can choose 11025, 22050 or 44100.
    I suggest you read this Tutorial for FFMPEG . It's really complete and has many useful tips.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This is a command line option to create an flv file from an mp4.

I was hoping is to use kazam to produce smaller files. It (kazam) has options such as webm, and two forms of AVI. I believe that they all create large files. It is a pity the utility does not contain an flv ro similar filter to produce smaller files. It looks like I may have to use a converter.

Best wishes

Comment

I don't seem to have ffmpeg installed, and it does not appear to be in the muon package manager.

UPDATE.

Ref. http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/

At the bottom of the list, I see two packages, but one does not contain an md5.
        It looks like this programme will install via ./ffmpeg
        Last edited by anonprivate; Apr 13, 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
          I don't seem to have ffmpeg installed, and it does not appear to be in the muon package manager.

UPDATE.

Ref. http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/

At the bottom of the list, I see two packages, but one does not contain an md5.
          It looks like this programme will install via ./ffmpeg
          you will find ffmpeg or/and libav-tools ,,,which has "avconv" that is a drop in replacement for ffmpeg ,,,,,,,you can use "avconv -i source.mp4 -c:v libx264 -crf 19 destinationfile.flv"

instead of "ffmpeg -i source.mp4 -c:v libx264 -crf 19 destinationfile.flv"

do a apt search for it in a konsole ,,,,,,,"apt search ffmpeg"

their is also a GUI for them "winff"

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X