This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox dogging lately after update

Lately following a Firefox update, the Firefox runs like a dog in some ways:

Annoying lags ...

Switching between tabs is slow:
    After clicking on a tab to open, there is a lag (maybe 1-2.5 seconds) before it goes.
    Running simple interactive games (slots, scratch cards, Lotto, etc.), it runs choppy, lags behind, doesn't quickly render new screens, and so on.
    Scrolling up/down on a page may exhibit a lag.
    Typing this post exhibits some lags (e.g., typing ***** shows a lag after typing ** until the last three asterisks appear.)

I didn't have these issues prior to the Firefox update.

Anyone notice this, too?

Details:
    Kubuntu 14.04 ...

Code:
     mike@mike-desktop:~$ inxi -Fxxx
     System:    Host: mike-desktop [B]Kernel[/B]: 3.13.0-101-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.4)  
                Desktop: KDE 4.13.3 (Qt 4.8.6) info: plasma-desktop dm: lightdm [B]Distro[/B]: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
    11/19/16 Update to Firefox (from Muon > View > History):
    firefox (49.0.2+build2-0ubuntu.14.04.1,50.0+build2-0ubuntu0.14.04.2)Upgraded at 12:11 PM

Yes, I tried Chromium, it runs great, I had to use Flash with it to accommodate the site I was at ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Getting-Flash ) . This Flash business gets confusing at times!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

No! I am running FireFox 50 and it is as fast as lightening! But, I have customized my preferences using the "about:config" setting.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/pr...x/fix-problems
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 22, 2016, 09:54 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG, the first link is "Bad." But the second link looks good, and I will start working through the troubleshooting list as time permits. Thanks.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@Qqmike:

I haven't had any of the problems you seem to be having but I did have a problem with Firefox 50 telling me libavcodec was needing to be updated (or words to that effect). It wouldn't play media in Twitter pages and some other stuff. I'm running K14.04 same as you. Apparently, an updated libavcodec isn't available yet in K14.04 repos.

I just went with the easy solution (a workaround) on this page. I quote the solution here:

"Just enable libavcodec in firefox:

type about:config in the address bar, enter

click "I accept the risk"

search for libavcodec

change media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete;false to true"

OK, I accept there is some tiny risk from doing that but I'm willing to take the chance. Hopefully the libavcodec will be updated soon.
        Last edited by Rod J; Nov 22, 2016, 08:58 PM.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I figured you'd be around Rod J (knowing you also ran 14.04). I tried what you posted, so we'll see. GreyGeek's link tells how to reset/refresh Firefox if need be

Thanks.

Comment

Hmmm... This link works for me:

but when I paste it into this box it is mangled to be this:
            http://kb.mozillazine.org/About<strong></strong>:config_entries
            between the first two u r l boxe, which gives the 404 msg.
            Manually removing "<strong></strong> " in the bad url allows it to work.

Here is a pic of what happens to the link:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161122_214047.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	643406
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 22, 2016, 09:43 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

OK, got it:
              Thanks.

Rod J: I did have a problem with Firefox 50 telling me libavcodec was needing to be updated (or words to that effect)
              Now that you mention it, I also recall such a pop-up message recently when I was working Firefox real hard.

Comment

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same behavior with that URL. I've returned your post back to 'as it was'.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

GG: Ha! My link version in Post #7 was copied directly from the right site, but it also flips to being Bad when clicked! But at least we know The Truth now and can get there.

Comment

So far ...

I did a "Refresh Firefox," and it has helped a lot, it has solved many of the issues I was having. I have yet to really, fully test it, though; I'll report back after doing that someday soon.

fyi:
                    In Firefox, Help tab > Troubleshooting information --> Give Firefox a tune-up --> Refresh Firefox. That screen also lists everything about your installation of Firefox (your settings, your preferences, options, etc).

Comment

Looking at the description of
                      libavcodec-extra[-54]
                      in Muon, it does seem that it would help with the issues I listed in the OP--Firefox lagging, slow, choppiness in interactive audio-video sites. And installing it it did help. But it didn't do the whole trick. What finished the job was a Refresh of Firefox (see my post # 10).
                      I more fully tested Firefox this morning, giving it a heck of a workout (multiple tabs open, each containing audio-video interactive events), and Firefox seemed to perform very well (following the Refresh).

So, for now, I'll mark this Solved. Thanks Rod J for the tip re libavcodec. And links to Firefox troubleshooting are in GreyGeek's post #2. Thanks guys.

(btw, the site I refer to for a test is PCH.com, a reputable--though odds of winning are very low!-- sweepstakes/games site.)

Comment

PHC -- Just like the lottery. You can't win if you don't play, but the odds are about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X