This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KAddressbook breaks with recent MYSQL update

After updating the following packages kaddressbook opens with an akonadi server error message:

libmysqlclient18, mysql-client-core5.5, mysql-common, mysql-server-core-5.5

Clicking on the button to restart the akonadi server just brings up the same error message. Have the identical problem with kaddressbook on two different 14.04 installations after updating the above packages today. I've restored from backups on both and kaddressbook is working. Can reproduce the problem by updating these packages on either system.

Hello,

kilgoretrout you are not alone. I have the same trouble

The details message that pops up has the following

The Akonadi control process is not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

No resource agents have been found, Akonadi is not usable without at least one. This usually means that no resource agents are installed or that there is a setup problem. The following paths have been searched: '/usr/share/akonadi/agents'. The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable is set to '/usr/share:/usr/share/kde-plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/'; make sure this includes all paths where Akonadi agents are installed.

Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!
    executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi"
    arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/", "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-royread.wdJQT4/mysql.socket")
    stdout: ""
    stderr: "/usr/sbin/mysqld: Error on realpath() on '/var/lib/mysql-files' (Error 2)
    161026 16:55:41 [ERROR] Failed to access directory for --secure-file-priv. Please make sure that directory exists and is accessible by MySQL Server. Supplied value : /var/lib/mysql-files
    161026 16:55:41 [ERROR] Aborting

Has the update erased a necessary folder somewhere. Reluctant to start digging around as having read about Akonadi and D-Bus on Wikipedia my knowledge of this stuff is zilch. Obviously all was working OK before this little MySQL security upgrade

Cheers

Roy

Comment

That's exactly what I get on two different 14.04 boxes so it's obviously a bug. I think either the path or the permissions must have been altered by the update. Hopefully, someone smarter than me will have a fix soon. For now, I was able to restore from a backup and then hold back the mysql packages when updating.

Comment

Well done, that is more than me.

Further to my previous post I have now spent sometime picking over the output from the abort information.

The Akonadi-selftest-report text file has the following

Test 13: ERROR
        --------

No resource agents found.
        Details: No resource agents have been found, Akonadi is not usable without at
        least one. This usually means that no resource agents are installed or that
        there is a setup problem. The following paths have been searched:
        '/usr/share/akonadi/agents'. The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable is set to
        '/usr/share:/usr/share/kde-plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/'; make sure this
        includes all paths where Akonadi agents are installed.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
        akonadibalooindexingagent.desktop
        akonadinepomukfeederagent.desktop
        akonotesresource.desktop
        archivemailagent.desktop
        birthdaysresource.desktop
        contactsresource.desktop
        davgroupwareresource.desktop
        facebookresource.desktop
        folderarchiveagent.desktop
        googlecalendarresource.desktop
        googlecontactsresource.desktop
        icaldirresource.desktop
        icalresource.desktop
        imapresource.desktop
        invitationsagent.desktop
        kabcresource.desktop
        kalarmdirresource.desktop
        kalarmresource.desktop
        kcalresource.desktop
        kdeaccountsresource.desktop
        kolabproxyresource.desktop
        localbookmarksresource.desktop
        maildirresource.desktop
        maildispatcheragent.desktop
        mailfilteragent.desktop
        mboxresource.desktop
        migrationagent.desktop
        mixedmaildirresource.desktop
        mtdummyresource.desktop
        newmailnotifieragent.desktop
        nntpresource.desktop
        notesagent.desktop
        notesresource.desktop
        openxchangeresource.desktop
        pop3resource.desktop
        sendlateragent.desktop
        vcarddirresource.desktop
        vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to
        '/usr/share:/usr/share/kde-plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/'

I note that MySQL does not appear as an agents but is just adding MySQL to the list do the trick?

Test 14: ERROR
        --------

Current Akonadi server error log found.
        Details: The Akonadi server reported errors during its current startup. The log
        can be found in <a
        href='/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error'>/home/royread/.
        local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error</a>.

File content of '/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error':
        arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf",
        "--datadir=/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/",
        "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-royread.zf1SxB/mysql.socket")
        stderr: "/usr/sbin/mysqld: Error on realpath() on '/var/lib/mysql-files' (Error
        2)
        161026 15:56:50 [ERROR] Failed to access directory for --secure-file-priv.
        Please make sure that directory exists and is accessible by MySQL Server.
        Supplied value : /var/lib/mysql-files
        161026 15:56:50 [ERROR] Aborting

and

Test 15: ERROR
        --------

Previous Akonadi server error log found.
        Details: The Akonadi server reported errors during its previous startup. The log
        can be found in <a
        href='/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old'>/home/royread/
        .local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old</a>.

File content of '/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old':
        arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf",
        "--datadir=/home/royread/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/",
        "--socket=/tmp/akonadi-royread.zf1SxB/mysql.socket")
        stderr: "/usr/sbin/mysqld: Error on realpath() on '/var/lib/mysql-files' (Error
        2)
        161026 15:56:50 [ERROR] Failed to access directory for --secure-file-priv.
        Please make sure that directory exists and is accessible by MySQL Server.
        Supplied value : /var/lib/mysql-files
        161026 15:56:50 [ERROR] Aborting

Both say that the /var/lib/mysql-files directory is missing

I have checked my /var/lib directory and there is no mention anywhere of MySql To solve this problem it can't just be a matter of reinstating this directory?
        It may need to contain files that have been lost in the security upgrade or even renamed for a reason. I am reluctant to go shooting in the dark but beginning to appreciate inter process communication!

Cheers

Roy

Comment

Your problem *may be* a regression of the "can't find resource agents" but reported in 2010 and later in 2011. You may want to post your problem with that bug report. Also, some folks found a workaround by deleting
          apt remove libkf5akonadisearchxapian5
          but that would be useful only if it works and if you didn't want to search your emails.

If your problem is the one in one of those bug reports it seems that Akonadi fires before mysql is ready to offer its data. Seems like a problem waiting to be solved by a systemctl unit that directs akonadi to wait until mysql says all is ready.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello GreyGeek,

So glad to see you are still very active. It says a lot for the stability of Kubuntu that I have not had the need to raise a topic for a very long time. Our last exchange in this forum must be over 2 years ago.

As to the current problem, it does seem to be the one mentioned in the 2011 bug report. Strange that no one else has raised this as I am sure the recent security update to MySQL is the cause of the immediate problem.

Just out of interest after reading your post I thought I would try and start MySQL from the command line and got the following

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Something has been deleted that should not have gone I think.

Anyway I was planning to upgrade to the latest LTS Kubuntu in a couple of weeks, as soon as there is a weekend with no visitors, and hopefully this should solve the problem. In the meantime, like a sensible chap I shall use my BACKUPS!

Thanks for your input

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by theread View Post
              Anyway I was planning to upgrade to the latest LTS Kubuntu in a couple of weeks, ....

Roy
              Hi, Roy!
              May the 16.04 LTS be as comfortable on your machine as it is on mine. Twice as fast as 14.04 and, after a little configuring, just as pretty!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Just to add my $.02, I am on 12.04 LTS (with backports) and I too have the same issue. MySQL upgrade broke it!
                Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Did you check to see if mysqld.sock exists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good news!! It's fixed!! Updated today and saw that in addition to the mysql packages that originally caused this problem, there were also updates to some akonadi packages. I thought the akonadi updates may be addressing this problem so gave it a try. I allowed the update of all packages, rebooted and KAddressbook is working fine. For anyone else having this problem try updating.
                    Last edited by kilgoretrout; Oct 30, 2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X