This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
    Edit the Kickoff menu (right click on the 'K' icon, choose "Edit Applications") find the entry for Firefox and change the startup command from "firefox %U" to "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1 firefox %U"

If you start Firefox from elsewhere you will need to alter the start command there.
    It worked! Now the dialogue box is behaving perfectly. Thank you so much for your help.

I'm at a loss to understand what it is that made it work. Is that code an extra parameter that runs with the executable to make it work with Linux?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Comment

It's an environment variable.

The VARIABLE=value part sets the variable (in addition to any others already set in the environment) and then firefox %U runs that command. The trick is that the firefox code will check various environment variables and adjust its behaviour accordingly.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
        It's an environment variable.

The VARIABLE=value part sets the variable (in addition to any others already set in the environment) and then firefox %U runs that command. The trick is that the firefox code will check various environment variables and adjust its behaviour accordingly.
        I see. So you could conceivably write code with an environmental variable that checks what version of *buntu the user is running (Kubuntu 14.04, 15.04, 16.04, Ubuntu ... all those versions, Lubuntu ... all those versions) and then have the app behave however is best for any particular OS?

Comment

Wow! I must live a charmed life, or something. I have an very stable 14.04.4 install, use FF (47.0), and T-Bird (38.8) with Lightning. I have zero issues with any sort of file system traversing, file location, file saving, or any problems with those two applications at all. T-Bird goes out to my AT&T (Yahoo) email and pulls things in with no issues, I can traverse to and attach any file to a new email that I choose, and in FF I can download files with no sweat. No drama at all. I stay pretty close to a stock defaulted install. Maybe I need more drama?

This is why I stay with Kubuntu, and with the LTS versions, and no LTS upgrades until the nn.0n.1 version hits the streets. In fact the only truly difficult problem I ever had was when the motherboard went off to meet its maker (literally, I sent it back to Gigabyte!), and replaced it with a new MB without doing fresh OS install. I couldn't get sound to work at all, until I re-installed. Then it was back to normal, boring, highly utilitarian, usefulness. I love it when an OS just works.

Sorry you guys are having problems, but without your difficulties, I don't have any solutions ...
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

You can set your PATH variable in your $HOME/.bashrc or /etc/bash.bashrc file if you want. You can also see what it is in a terminal by typing in:
            Code:
             echo $PATH
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Since I started this thread, I've upgraded to Kubuntu 16.04 LTS on my desktop machine. Although I solved that one problem, I started having problems with Adobe Flash not upgrading properly. I had even saved step-by-step instructions that used to make it work via the command line. Those stopped working, so I made a Clonezilla Ghost of my 14.04 install and then upgraded to 16.04. That way I could easily revert back if I hated the new one. So far the new version is working out great for me. I still have 14.04 on my laptops, but I'll likely upgrade them at some point.

Comment

Keep in mind you can easily use Google's Pepperflash implementation in Firefox if the outdated version of Flashplugin-installer is not getting the job done.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  Keep in mind you can easily use Google's Pepperflash implementation in Firefox if the outdated version of Flashplugin-installer is not getting the job done.
                  I had all kinds of problems with Pepperflash. So far regular flash is working in 16.04.

Comment

Update 2017: you now need to install the plasmazilla PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~plasmazilla

Comment

I solved my FF problems by switching to Vivaldi
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just hit into this issue. i don't want to update to 16.04 yet, as i have an AMD GPU for which the support is still slightly better under 14.04 with fglrx drivers.

The menu boxes for OK and cancel have X and empty icon inside. the file upload menu and similar menues does not appear to work at all. non resnponsive.

The strange issue is not limited to firefox (ver. 53.0 64-bit), but to some other gtk software as well such as image viewer gpicview. i was using that viewer as it is very fast to load.

now it is throwing out errors if i run it from terminal e.g.:
                        Code:
                        gpicview
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/actions/go-previous.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/go-previous.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/go-previous.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/go-previous.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/actions/go-next.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/go-next.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/go-next.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/go-next.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/actions/media-playback-start.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/media-playback-start.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/media-playback-start.png'
                        (gpicview:7792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/media-playback-start.png'
                        The bizzare thing is that another PC with Kubuntu 14.04 works just fine.

Any solutions? and if not can you suggest alternatives? should i use Chrome/Chromium instead? but firefox was the "official browser".
                        What about the image viewer. Gvenview is too heavy and too complex. is there anything simple & qt based that would work?

Or should i do a reinstall of the whole OS?
                        Code:
                           *-cpu
                                product: AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
                                vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
                                physical id: 1
                                bus info: cpu@0
                                size: 1320MHz
                                capacity: 1320MHz
                                width: 64 bits
                              *-display
                                   description: VGA compatible controller
                                   product: Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]
                                   vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
                                   physical id: 1
                                   bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
                                   version: 00
                                   width: 32 bits
                                   clock: 33MHz
                                   capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                                   configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
                        OS= Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit
                        kernel= 3.13.0-117-generic

Click image for larger version

Name:	gpicview.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	643502Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	643503

Comment

When 'missing icons' are experienced, it is almost entirely due to either the Desktop Theme or Icon Theme that one is using. Have you tried setting both back to the defaults?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I solved the Firefox file dialog problem in K14.04 here by changing the GTK3 theme in System Settings, Application Appearance, GTK to the Emacs theme. It looks ugly and doesn't fit with the rest of the OS but it is at least functional. I changed the font to DejaVu Sans 8 too. The default GTK3 theme in K14.04 just doesn't work at all in Firefox as you've seen. You need to restart Firefox to see the changes.

You could maybe download a more attractive GTK3 theme but not via the "Get New Themes" button as it doesn't work any more it seems.
                            Last edited by Rod J; Apr 28, 2017, 11:33 PM.
                            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

now that you mentioned it, i vaguely remember having some issues with theme. default one is too bright for this laptop. in any case i switched to oxygen dark, used raleigh for GTK2 to get the icons back. now the only issue is image viewer gpicview. while it has the icons for osme reason it can not open any of the photos. i will troubleshoot it elsewhere.

but i will still leave a quesiton here - what other viewer would you recomend that is light, opens fast and works well in KDE? it would need to have picture viewing abilities and ability to temporary rotate the photo, zoom in and out and that's about it.

Comment

I had mouse issues with command "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1 firefox".

So, i uninstalled gtk3-engines-oxygen, then relog [or restart] , that should fix gtk3 themes.
                                If not install gnome-tweak-tool

Comment

Working...
                                X