X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasmazilla still with Nautilus...

Hello,
    Because of the two latest Firefox upgrades that changed Dolphin to Nautilus, did search here and found Plasmazilla. May 2, added the PPA, and temporary did solve all issues: Plasmazilla's Firefox 1000-45.0 successfully replaced Gnome's Firefox 46.0. Unfortunately, the next two upgrades of Plasmazilla to 1000-46.0 and 1000-47.0, reintroduced Nautilus in Dolphin's place, plus all other dysfunctions Gnome's Firefox 46.0 brought in. And this is very bothering... Can anyone suggest a solution? But please, NOT theme changes! This is not about themes, but about Gnome vs. KDE.
    Thanks,
    aria

As plasmazilla is modifying firefox to use components it was not coded for, you will probably have to report bugs to them or wait for them to be fixed by the people who work on it.
    Firefox uses Gtk file pickers, not nautilus actually, and they have to hack the code to have it use kde's file chooser. This is why they have to provide a separate, custom build of firefox and "pin" it so that a normal firefox update does not replace it. Sometimes it is broken for a bit until they fix it. Others who use it may have input on how to revert to an older version, perhaps?

It is not a Gnome vs KDE thing, really, as Mozilla hard-code this in, and will not re-write things to allow it to simply call whatever the current desktop would use for this.

Comment

From here?

https://launchpad.net/~plasmazilla

In that case...

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Am I one of the few experiencing such issues? Does these not bother all Kubuntu users?
        Firefox is not the issue, but Ubuntu's built of Firefox, which since 46.0 imposes Nautilus over the system's files navigator whichever this is. And this makes Firefox dysfunctional in Ubuntu based systems, on any desktop using anything else than Nautilus, especially KDE.
        Will wait... Didn't report the issue, because asked to create a new account (have too many).
        Thanks,
        aria

Comment

Honesty? It's never bothered me very much, and I've not really had any problem with it over the years either.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

The thing is, and I am repeating myself, is that Firefox does NOT allow for using a native file picker in Linux, it is built in to the browser itself. Some people maintain a hacked firefox that makes firefox use KDE native file dialogs, and that feature seems broken at the moment.

The problem is with firefox. Ubuntu has zero to to do with it. Kubuntu does provide a gtk3 theme called oxygen-gtk3 that KDE based distros use to help make things like firefox etc look prettier in KDE, but the file dialogs are still the gtk (gnome-like) just themed to look more like KDE. The problem is that in FF version 46 they moved from the ancient gtk2 to gtk3, and oxygen-gtk3 has not been able to keep up with the changes that FF made back in March.

Check out the numerous reports, across distros, on the problems since they updated:
            https://www.google.com/search?q=oxyg...tk3+firefox+47

right now the only way to get around the problem(s) is to try a different gtk3 theme in system setting
            Last edited by claydoh; Jun 21, 2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

So Firefox issued the Ubuntu-built releases! Thought Canonical did it. Before 46.0, Gtk2 allowed using the system's files browser. Now, with gtk3 this is no more possible, and their integrated files browser (looking copy-paste like Nautilus) doesn't work in KDE: left panel icons are death, 1 click in the right panel works like holding the mouse button depressed, black text on black background rectangles, etc... Saving or attaching files without mistaking something is a real pain.

How could I get back to 45.0 (last working Firefox in KDE) or 1000-45.0 (last working Plasmazilla), both with gtk2?
              Thanks,
              Last edited by aria; Jun 22, 2016, 06:40 PM.
              aria

Comment

Hi aria. Have you had a look at this thread, where, I think, they addressed the issue of reverting to 45:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...46-0-UI-issues
                Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 22, 2016, 06:49 PM.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I edited my above post to fix that link to be the correct link.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    The thing is, and I am repeating myself, is that Firefox does NOT allow for using a native file picker in Linux, it is built in to the browser itself. Some people maintain a hacked firefox that makes firefox use KDE native file dialogs, and that feature seems broken at the moment.

The problem is with firefox. Ubuntu has zero to to do with it.
                    Originally posted by aria View Post
                    So Firefox issued the Ubuntu-built releases! Thought Canonical did it.
                    Ubuntu do the builds from source using the mozilla sources.

(as opposed to some distros that just grab the binaries from the mozilla ftp and repackage or provide a download script)

and Ubuntu applies a variety of patches when building

e.g.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mozilla...ebian/patches/

but that has to stay GTK centric for the main distribution. A kubuntu/kde patch is not going to make it in there.

Comment

Thanks everybody,
                      I just moved to a new apartment and couldn't make it soft with the ISP, so for the moment have no connection of my own and have to navigate on a public network. I have promises my new connection will be functional in about 2 weeks. Until than, I won't be here (for a while).
                      Read you soon,
                      Last edited by aria; Jul 06, 2016, 03:19 PM.
                      aria

Comment

Solved some of FF issues: QupZilla.
                        Hoping for better days with FF,
                        aria

Comment

I've tried Qupzilla and Otter browser at times, but they have always had one too many features missing, or miss the flexibility of Firefox for me.

Glad you are getting on well with it though, that is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by aria View Post
                            Am I one of the few experiencing such issues? Does these not bother all Kubuntu users?
                            Firefox is not the issue, but Ubuntu's built of Firefox, which since 46.0 imposes Nautilus over the system's files navigator whichever this is. And this makes Firefox dysfunctional in Ubuntu based systems, on any desktop using anything else than Nautilus, especially KDE.
                            Will wait... Didn't report the issue, because asked to create a new account (have too many).
                            Thanks,
                            If you are talking about using Firefox to search and access directories and files in the local filesystem, then no. I know it's possible, but all I ever do with Firefox and my local filesystem is to maybe download and store some files - which has never been a problem or concern, at all ever. If I'm looking for something on my filesystem, I just go to Dophin. I guess I don't get the question ....
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                            X