This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bank's web page complains that I don't have Java

My bank has a feature that lets you deposit a check that you've scanned. Unfortunately, when I try to use it, the web site complains that I don't have the Java plug-in. I've tried in FireFox, Chrome, Opera, and Rekonq with the same result each time. However, I do have Java. I checked which version in the konsole:
    Code:
    tom@tom-HP-Compaq-6200-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_101"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.6) (7u101-2.6.6-0ubuntu0.14.04.1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.95-b01, mixed mode)
    I did find a page with some information on installing Java in Kubuntu (https://joaondinis.wordpress.com/201...untu-from-apt/). It says to do this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge openjdk*
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
    java -version
    javac -version
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-set-default
    However, I'm hesitant to do that for fear of screwing up my computer. I guess I could Clonezilla the thing first in case I trash it. I've had bad experiences with Java in the past. The Java that I have is working for other things. I have a subtitle editor named Jubler that runs under Java. It runs fine.

Do I have to tell Java to be in my browser as a plugin? Is that what's going on?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

More likely is that your bank is Windows-centric and expecting/requiring that you are running Explorer on Windows. Contact your bank and inquire of thier IT department (tell the person you talk with that you have issues with using the deposit by scan feature) as to thier requirements.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      More likely is that your bank is Windows-centric and expecting/requiring that you are running Explorer on Windows. Contact your bank and inquire of their IT department (tell the person you talk with that you have issues with using the deposit by scan feature) as to their requirements.
      As nice as that sounds, my experience has been that as soon as the "tech" hears that you are not running windows it's usually "conversation over". My guess is that Oracle's Java team made some type of web script available for a compatibility check that isn't made to take into account the open source equivalent. I would be curious as to whether installing the proprietary version of java would work or not...

For what it's worth, I visited Oracle's official "verify java version" page (https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp), and running the latest stable Chrome it came back not supported.

Click image for larger version

Name:	J6.png
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	643230
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

As nice as that sounds, my experience has been that as soon as the "tech" hears that you are not running windows it's usually "conversation over".
        Yes. It is frustrating. The issue is usually the same: You are using Linux. Java, wava, Firefox, NoFirefox, NoScript, Chrome&Chromium, whatever: You are using Linux.

Without saying where this occurred, this is a response I got recently from a "prize-game" site that requires lots of interactive activities, and which can freeze up or not work properly, and which happened to me frequently, and for which I got this tech response by email, which I post simply to instantiate the principle:

The reason we do not support the Linux system has nothing to do with Microsoft other then that fact that Microsoft and Mac OSX Operating systems are Static build OS's. Linux on the other hand is a Custom Build OS, with dozens, if not hundreds, of variants and the ability to personally customize the interface/OS, therefore there is no way of telling how your specific system/OS is configured. This makes it nearly impossible for any outside source, such as Customer Service / Technical Support, to troubleshoot technical issues, when we have no idea as to what has been changed/modified from the original release version of the OS.

If you can get Linux to maintain a single static OS build and provide, legally, tech support Licenses to groups and business to offer technical support for their software (we require the support license so they don't sue us for offering Technical Support for their software without their permission), provide training and IT packages for training and troubleshooting purposes, like every other software developer is, legally, required to do. Then I do not see an issue down the line of this type of OS being supported. Until then if you have any issues in relation to programs and/or features while using a Linux OS, please contact your Linux software provider.
        I tried Chromium, but then got the message: "This site requires Java ..." etc. So I simply use Firefox and accept that now and then the site will malfunction for me. And suck it up.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When I get some time, I'll check if my Java is official and, if not, change it to that. I have to get work done for a living, so it's not on the top of my list. I got the financial transaction done on my Windows PC. Of course, that defeats the purpose of my using Linux. I use Linux for its better security and much prefer doing sensitive banking things with it. My Windows 7 PC has quality protection (Kaspersky Internet Security) and I almost never surf the web with it, so I should be fine. I'm still annoyed. These companies that claim that there are too many distros to support Linux are blowing smoke. They could just support Ubuntu and their pages would be compatible with multiple distros.
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

Working...
          X