This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Java to un-install.........

When installing java the old java is outpost to be un-installed, so which Java to un-install?

I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bits, KDE

I'm wanting to install Paranoia Text Encryption for PC - Cross Platform
    for Linux.

In the ReadMe.txt file for Paranoia Text Encryption it states:
    - Java 6 or later is needed (http://java.com/download)

I haven't had to deal with Java for for some time now. So, on the java.com
    website it states to remove the old java. My question is which files
    do I un-install?

Thanks in advance!fb

If you just need a JRE then you can install by running sudo apt install default-jre which will actually install openjdk-7-jre. If you need the jdk then run sudo apt install default-jdk which actually installs openjdk-7-jdk. There's no need to go poking around on the java website for things to download.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

+1
      The beginning of woes for the inexperienced is when they avoid the repository and go poking around various websites for apps that are in the repository.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
        If you just need a JRE then you can install by running sudo apt install default-jre which will actually install openjdk-7-jre. If you need the jdk then run sudo apt install default-jdk which actually installs openjdk-7-jdk. There's no need to go poking around on the java website for things to download.
        elijathegold, thanks ever so much for saving me many problems!fb

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          +1
          The beginning of woes for the inexperienced is when they avoid the repository and go poking around various websites for apps that are in the repository.
          GreyGeek, thank you for checking me out!fb

Comment

Originally posted by fireboy View Post
            GreyGeek, thank you for checking me out!fb
            Having used Linux since 1998, and exclusively for the last 8 years, if there is a mistake that can be made using Linux I have made it! More than once! That's probably why I have no hair on the top of my head.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X