X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b Doesn't "See" Blank DVD

Hello;

I've been using k3b on TT since 14.04 came out. I've never had any problems with the app recognizing optical media until today and I can think of no reason why it's not working now.

I am trying to burn an iso image onto a DVD. K3b loads fine and brings up the burn window, but after the checksum is generated, the text box doesn't change from, "Please insert an empty DVD or Blu-ray medium."

Simple burn can see the DVD as /dev/sr0, but it also is unable to burn the iso image. It just runs a blue bar back and forth across the progress bar until I finally close it. When I do, it ejects the blank media so it must see the drive.

I've put different blanks in the drive in case it's just a bad disk, but no joy there. Any ideas would really help.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Launch k3b from a console and keep it so you can see the output. When the process 'hangs', what is the last line displayed in the console window?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Launch k3b from a console and keep it so you can see the output. When the process 'hangs', what is the last line displayed in the console window?
      Hi Snowhog. Here you go:

mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ k3b
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
      Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
      K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
      K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
      QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: Permission denied
      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root
      k3b(30262)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects" with KXMLGUIFactory!
      k3b(30262)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory!
      k3b(30262)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory!
      k3b(30262)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with KXMLGUIFactory!
      mark@AMD64-LTS:~$ Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

Wow. That's a lot of stuff that isn't working correctly. Do you understand the problem from that? Please advise.
      Last edited by Snowhog; May 06, 2016, 07:38 PM.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

have you tried running the tool ,,,,k3b>settings>setup system permissions,,,,,,,,,,?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi VINNY, Yes I have. That sets the permissions to 666. It doesn't allow me to set them to anything else for some reason. I just assume 777 would be better, but if that's what the application wants, fine. It made no difference though with the problem I'm having. It seems k3b does recognize blank CD media. I just burned a music CD with the application and it had no problem recognizing the media.

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
            It seems k3b does recognize blank CD media. I just burned a music CD with the application and it had no problem recognizing the media.
            ? how did you burn the CD then ?

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Okay, this is weird. K3b is able to "see" optical CD media, but not DVD media. From the printout (above), the hardware is fully capable of using CD or DVD media, but K3b is not. What do you think the problem is?

Comment

New development. I've been trying to burn a 4.4GB iso image and the symptoms are as I described them above. After the checksum finished, I changed the file to a 2.7GB image and as soon as I did two things happened: the checksum started and the text box displayed, "Empty DVD-R medium." It's hard to believe that that is how K3b [almost] let's the user know the loaded media is too small? Really? It's such an elegant application that I would have thought an error message would pop up at the very least. I'll keep this open until Monday, and if my findings are confirmed, I'll mark this solved. Very strange.

Comment

Working...
                X