Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the information in KNotes stored or how to export it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the information in KNotes stored or how to export it?

I am trying to locate the information stored in Knotes since I am having problems with this version of Kubuntu and I need to kee tat info.

I have found threads thtat say that it's in:

~/.kde4/share/apps/knotes/

or in:

~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
    or in:

~/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes.ics

The fact is thatif I want to install anew version of Kubuntu I can't risk losing that information, and I think I can recall situations when I have lost it when doing so.

Anyone could assist me?

Hi, RagonichaFulva, and welcome to Kubuntu Forums.

I'm using 14.04 and my KNotes are stored in:

~/.local/share/notes/new

There are three folders in the "notes" folder but only the folder "new" seems to contain the notes. To be sure I have set my backup program to back up all three anyway.

I only use KNotes for temporary notes that wouldn't trouble me greatly if they were lost. I prefer to use CherryTree Notes for more important stuff that would bother me if I lost them: http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
      Hi, RagonichaFulva, and welcome to Kubuntu Forums.

I'm using 14.04 and my KNotes are stored in:

~/.local/share/notes/new

There are three folders in the "notes" folder but only the folder "new" seems to contain the notes. To be sure I have set my backup program to back up all three anyway.

I only use KNotes for temporary notes that wouldn't trouble me greatly if they were lost. I prefer to use CherryTree Notes for more important stuff that would bother me if I lost them: http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Hello RodJ

First of all, thanks for your quick reply.

I am afraid I don't have that folder in the .local/share folder

That's weird...

Comment

Yes, that is weird ... but not that unusual when it comes to the complexities of the Akonadi database IMHO.

Try this: Click on System Settings, Personal Information. You should see an entry entitled "Notes". Click on that and choose the "Modify" button on the right. The weirdness really begins here because on my system the dialog that pops up is entitled "Select a MailDir folder - Notes of type" What path do you see in there? For my system I have /home/rod/.local/share/notes/. Oddly enough it's in the "Maildir" tab of that dialog ... now that's weird because I don't use and have never set up Kmail. The path shown should be where your notes are stored ... maybe?

I don't trust Akonadi that much at all ... I played around with Nepomuk/Akonadi more thoroughly when I was using Kubuntu 12.04 and it was just such a buggy mess back then that I lost all confidence in that system and have never enabled much of it here in 14.04. I don't use Baloo either.
        Last edited by Rod J; Apr 06, 2016, 06:27 PM. Reason: Expanding info
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
          Yes, that is weird ... but not that unusual when it comes to the complexities of the Akonadi database IMHO.

Try this: Click on System Settings, Personal Information. You should see an entry entitled "Notes". Click on that and choose the "Modify" button on the right. The weirdness really begins here because on my system the dialog that pops up is entitled "Select a MailDir folder - Notes of type" What path do you see in there? For my system I have /home/rod/.local/share/notes/. Oddly enough it's in the "Maildir" tab of that dialog ... now that's weird because I don't use and have never set up Kmail. The path shown should be where your notes are stored ... maybe?

I don't trust Akonadi that much at all ... I played around with Nepomuk/Akonadi more thoroughly when I was using Kubuntu 12.04 and it was just such a buggy mess back then that I lost all confidence in that system and have never enabled much of it here in 14.04. I don't use Baloo either.
          Wow... I did the change and I lost all my notes...

Now I can't recall the old dir to find them...

Comment

Can you ls the files you have in your directory to search them?

Comment

Oh dear

I didn't mean for you to change the folder location ... I was just trying to find where on your system your notes are (which differs from my location, apparently).

Maybe the notes are still around somewhere. Try searching for them in Dolphin perhaps. My notes in ~/.local/share/notes/new/ are named thus: "1422271775.R393.Core-i5". The last part (Core-i5) is my PC's name. If you're not sure what your PC's name is start a terminal and it will be the last part of the prompt after the @ sign. Do a search in Dolphin for *.{PC name}.

Comment

I am afraid the find -name commmand prompts just this:

/home/carlos/.local/share/akonadi/socket-carlos-zarca
                /home/carlos/.kde/socket-carlos-zarca
                /home/carlos/.kde/cache-carlos-zarca
                /home/carlos/.kde/tmp-carlos-zarca

Comment

I just tried searching in Dolphin and my PC just about had a hernia! I stopped the search and did a locate *.Core-i5 in a terminal which took all of a second to run and did return my notes filenames.

Comment

The files you found don't seem like the note files to me, unfortunately.

So, if you start the KNotes application the old notes are definitely gone now? I don't know what to say ...

Comment

No results, and now Knotes doesn't work either... no new notes

Comment

Bummer! As I said before, I just don't trust the Akonadi system, it's just way too complicated and fragile IMHO. I don't know what to do to recover your notes, maybe someone else has some ideas. It's ironic that the very thing you were trying to avoid has happened, sorry.

Comment

Don't worry. My fault.

Comment

On a fresh installation of 14.04.4, KNotes stores notes in ~/.local/share/notes/new

KNotes uses some odd naming convention, so it isn't obvious at all which each of them contains without looking in them (they are simple text files, so you can cat them).
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              On a fresh installation of 14.04.4, KNotes stores notes in ~/.local/share/notes/new

KNotes uses some odd naming convention, so it isn't obvious at all which each of them contains without looking in them (they are simple text files, so you can cat them).

I'll give it a try...

Comment

Working...
                              X