This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtualbox Install Repeatedly Borks System

I have been running Kubuntu-14.04 32 bit since it came out on two Dell E6510 laptops. I recently needed to reinstall Windows 7 Pro and resize my partitions on one of the machines, so I backed everything up and wiped everything off of it, repartitioned the drive, reinstalled Windows, and downloaded kubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso and reinstalled Kubuntu. I began the routine of installing drivers and needed software – Scribus, Gimp, Gscan2PDF, Teamviewer, Nvidia video driver, VirtualBox, and synaptic. When I rebooted I could only boot to a command prompt – no desktop. Over the years I have seen the nvidia driver do bad stuff, so instead of troubleshooting I just reinstalled and installed only the nvidia driver and rebooted. Everything was fine, so I installed the above software list minus Teamviewer. The reboot took me back to a command prompt and no desktop. At this point I redownloaded the ISO file and checked it. Then I only installed VirtualBox and that appears to be the culprit. I usually install VirtualBox by executing this command in konsole: “wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -” and then from synaptic. The last time I just downloaded “virtualbox-5.0_5.0.16-105871-Ubuntu-trusty_amd64.deb” and installed.
    I have no idea where to go from here, but I know I need this computer running with VirtualBox. I have Vbox 5.0.16 32 bit running on the other laptop. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

OK, I don't know why this worked (or why the other didn't), but I tried this and BINGO!

Fresh install of Kubuntu. Install nvidia and did NOT run updates on updater. Reboot. OK. Install synaptic. Manually entered VirtualBox repository via synaptic. Refreshed. Reported no key for VirtualBox repository. VBox 5.0 not in synaptic list. Installed VBox 4.3 (?). Opened VBox. Rebooted. OK. Installed updates on updater. Executed in konsole: “wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -” to install key. Refreshed synaptic. Installed VBox 5.0 from synaptic. Roboot. All working. Post from this machine.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

Comment

Working...
    X