This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate behaviour change

In the last week, KATE has started opening two files when I use Dolphin right-click menu to open one file.
    The second file is a blank document (new doc). I must close and discard this new doc before I can proceed with my edit of the first doc.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I have not done any config changes, beyond my daily check for updates.

Excuse my spelling, it is "behavior"...
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

No, you were correct the first time: "behaviour"!

That is how we spell so many words like "colour", etc the correct way not like you Yanks with your easy peasy dumb phonetic spelling!
    Last edited by Rod J; Feb 21, 2016, 09:53 PM.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Wez Merikans can spel just fin! Its u Kiwis, Ausies, an Limeys that wanna ad al sorts of xtra leters to mak speling mor confuzing than it shuld b.

Comment

Well, what can I say? My built in spell checker is sometimes not connected to my fingers...

Humor aside, the problem in the Kate behavior/behaviour still exists and I would like to know if anyone else is seeing it...
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          Wez Merikans can spel just fin! Its u Kiwis, Ausies, an Limeys that wanna ad al sorts of xtra leters to mak speling mor confuzing than it shuld b.
          Maybe my brain isn't so artificial anymore. I actually understood every "word" of that sentence!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
            In the last week, KATE has started opening two files when I use Dolphin right-click menu to open one file.
            The second file is a blank document (new doc). I must close and discard this new doc before I can proceed with my edit of the first doc.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?
            I'm not seeing the same problem as you are having with Kate and I'm also running K14.04.

But I do have another problem with Kate in that when starting Kate either to create a new file or opening an existing file it looks like it's ready for input but when you start typing nothing happens (the input cursor appears, but for some reason it isn't blinking and is stationary). You actually have to click somewhere in the input field to get the cursor to start blinking and then it will take input.

I found this KDE bug which is exactly what I see here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350695 but that is for v5.00 in Plasma 5 and was resolved. I wonder if in fixing it for Plasma 5 they broke it in KDE 4?
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Rod J: But I do have another problem with Kate in that when starting Kate either to create a new file or opening an existing file it looks like it's ready for input but when you start typing nothing happens (the input cursor appears, but for some reason it isn't blinking and is stationary). You actually have to click somewhere in the input field to get the cursor to start blinking and then it will take input.
              I don't seem to have that issue in my Kubuntu 14.04 (Kate version 3.13.3, Using KDE Devlepment Platform 4.13.3).
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                But I do have another problem with Kate in that when starting Kate either to create a new file or opening an existing file it looks like it's ready for input but when you start typing nothing happens (the input cursor appears, but for some reason it isn't blinking and is stationary). You actually have to click somewhere in the input field to get the cursor to start blinking and then it will take input.
                I do not see this either under 14.04, so it may well be a backport glitch from the newer versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  I don't seem to have that issue in my Kubuntu 14.04 (Kate version 3.13.3, Using KDE Devlepment Platform 4.13.3).
                  All the same as I'm running here. TWPonKubuntu isn't seeing this either so it looks like this problem is just with my setup.

Comment

Working...
                  X