This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking Issues

I recently arrived in Ghent, Belgium, at the university here. In order to get online in the student residences, we have to use an ethernet cord, and when you plug in the cord at first, you can only visit the webpage for the school's IT helpdesk (http://www.helpdesk.ugent.be/vpn/en/asa.php) and download the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN" which then allows you to log in and get online.

My machine is set up to dual boot Windows 7 and Kubuntu 14.04. Booting under Windows, this procedure works just fine. Booting under Kubuntu, when I plug in the cable I get a network icon with a little yellow question mark and it says "disconnected", and I can't even visit the help desk site. I don't think it is a driver issue, as I was able to make a wired connection to my parents' network over the holidays without any trouble.

I tried downloading the tar.gz file from the helpdesk, but I don't really know that much about how to use them and I couldn't make it work; and anyway I don't think it will work unless there is some kind of connection.

I tried contacting the IT help desk here, but they said I would have to give them my computer overnight (don't want to do that because it has sensitive/personal information and would have to give them my logon password), and when I asked for an alternative, like bringing it in during opening hours, they told me "help desk is a privilege not a right" and hung up the phone.

Does anyone have any idea where I could begin to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate this forum and all the help that everyone here provides.

Jason

I'm no expert on running this type of network connection but it seems you need to install this stuff.

Unpack the file and find /anyconnect-4.1.04011/vpn/vpn_install.sh

It is already set as executable so it should suffice to just click it to run this script.

Or, click in Dolphin on /anyconnect-4.1.04011/vpn/, press F4 to open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    ./vpn_install.sh
    Now, what to do next?
    It seems it installs a graphical VPN client, find it and run as per the website.

As a PS, the fact they have Linux packages tells me there are more people using Linux, find one that can help you.
    And find someone in the organisation that can do something about the HD person with the unacceptable remark about 'a privilege'.

Us Hollanders wouldn't accept this kind of answer.
    Last edited by Teunis; Jan 13, 2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Try plugging in the cable before you boot Kubuntu.

Comment

So I was able to install and run the VPN software, but the cable connection still doesn't seem to work, even if I plug it in before booting Kubuntu.

I'm guessing it's not a hardware problem since I can connect while running Windows 7; could it be a driver? What should I check next?

Jason

Comment

I think I'm confused. How were you able to install and run the VPN software if you are unable to connect via your wired connection to the school's IT help desk using Kubuntu? I thought you had to download their version of AnyConnect from that webpage. I doubt it is a driver issue since you were able to successfully connect using your wired connection to your parent's network. If they are on a Windows Domain it may be a security issue, especially since that is the only webpage you can connect to. I think they might have to give you permission to connect. Out of curiosity did you click your Networks icon on the task bar and then for your wired connection click "Connect"?

Comment

I was able to download the Linux version of the VPN software while running Windows, then move the file over to the Kubuntu partition and install it.

Unfortunately there is no option to "connect" to the wired network, the only thing that shows up in the Networks icon is nearby wireless networks (which I can't/don't want to connect to).

I will try to see if there is a permission issue next week, hopefully someone else is working the help desk then ;-)

Jason

Comment

If you don't see a wired connection in Network Manager, then your school probably cannot assign a DHCP address. You may need to add a wired connection or fix /etc/network/interfaces. Other guys on this forum are probably a bit more knowledgeable than me. What do you see when you enter ifconfig in a terminal?

This link may help.
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2247351

Comment

If you can get someone to get you the specific connection info or see if there are any manual settings you can view form Windows, you can add a new Openconnect connection. You'll likely need to install the package network-manager-openconnect

Click the networking icon in your systray, then click the wrench icon at the top to open the connection editor, and then click the Add icon, and select "openconnect" down under the VPN section. Then you'd need to enter the connection info you need. I have no idea what all the sections mean\ or what you need and don't need to set.

However, you can still use the cisco client you already installed. It is a commandline tool. I searched the website briefly and found this page that shows how to set it up, but a part are outdated:
                http://helpdesk.ugent.be/vpn/en/handmatig.php

basically, make sure you have installed the 32 or 64 bit software as appropriate for you.
                You probably don't need to follow steps 1 through 3 if you have installed it already.
                For step 4 do this:
                In the terminal, you type this command instead of the one the page gives:
                /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpn
                Then you will see:
                Code:
                VPN>
                Enter connect asavpn2.ugent.be
                You then will enter your username and password if you are actually connected but I really don't know. It connected from here in the US and I got the username prompt.

Using this tool requires you keep that terminal open. The connection disconnects if you close it.

If you can get the connection details, using the the systray network manager applet is easier and better overall as you connect and manage things there instead of the command line.

I do wonder why they want your laptop overnight unless they want to install and set it up for you.

Comment

I tried that command, here is the output:

Code:
                  root@jason-ThinkPad-X230-Tablet:/# /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpn
                  Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (version 4.1.04011) .

Copyright (c) 2004 - 2015 Cisco Systems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

>> state: Disconnected
                    >> notice: Ready to connect.
                    >> registered with local VPN subsystem.
                  VPN> connect asavpn2.ugent.be
                  connect asavpn2.ugent.be
                    >> contacting host (asavpn2.ugent.be) for login information...
                    >> notice: Contacting asavpn2.ugent.be.
                    >> warning: Connection attempt has failed.
                    >> warning: Unable to contact asavpn2.ugent.be.
                    >> error: The VPN connection failed due to unsuccessful domain name resolution.
                  VPN> connect asavpn.ugent.be
                  connect asavpn.ugent.be
                    >> contacting host (asavpn.ugent.be) for login information...
                    >> notice: Contacting asavpn.ugent.be.
                    >> warning: Connection attempt has failed.
                    >> warning: Unable to contact asavpn.ugent.be.
                    >> error: The VPN connection failed due to unsuccessful domain name resolution.
                  I also tried the steps listed in the threat linked by wartnose:

Code:
                  $ sudo lshw -C network

*-network               
                         description: Ethernet interface
                         product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
                         vendor: Intel Corporation
                         physical id: 19
                         bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
                         logical name: eth0
                         version: 04
                         serial: f0:de:f1:fd:7b:29
                         size: 100Mbit/s
                         capacity: 1Gbit/s
                         width: 32 bits
                         clock: 33MHz
                         capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                         configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=2.3.2-k duplex=full firmware=0.13-3 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
                         resources: irq:41 memory:f2500000-f251ffff memory:f253b000-f253bfff ioport:5080(size=32)
                    *-network
                         description: Wireless interface
                         product: Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]
                         vendor: Intel Corporation
                         physical id: 0
                         bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                         logical name: wlan0
                         version: 34
                         serial: 8c:70:5a:8e:b8:b0
                         width: 64 bits
                         clock: 33MHz
                         capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                         configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=3.13.0-74-generic firmware=18.168.6.1 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn             
                         resources: irq:45 memory:f1c00000-f1c01fff
                  Code:

$ nm-tool                                                                                                                                 

NetworkManager Tool                                                                                                                                                         

State: disconnected                                                                                                                                                         

** (process:2934): WARNING **: error: cannot retrieve connection: uid 1000 has no permission to perform this operation                                                      
                  - Device: wlan0 ----------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                            
                    Type:              802.11 WiFi
                    Driver:            iwlwifi
                    State:             disconnected
                    Default:           no
                    HW Address:        8C:70:5A:8E:B8:B0

Capabilities:

Wireless Properties
                      WEP Encryption:  yes
                      WPA Encryption:  yes
                      WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points 
                     [Bunch of local wifi networks that I can't/don't want to connect to]

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
                    Type:              Wired
                    Driver:            e1000e
                    State:             disconnected
                    Default:           no
                    HW Address:        F0:DE:F1:FD:7B:29

Capabilities:
                      Carrier Detect:  yes
                      Speed:           100 Mb/s

Wired Properties
                      Carrier:         on
                  Code:

$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
                  # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
                  auto lo
                  iface lo inet loopback
                  Code:
                  $ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
                  [main]
                  plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono
                  dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=F0:DE:F1:FD:7B:29,

[ifupdown]
                  managed=false
                  Code:
                  $ cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
                  [main]
                  NetworkingEnabled=true
                  WirelessEnabled=true
                  WWANEnabled=true
                  WimaxEnabled=true

Comment

Booting under Kubuntu, when I plug in the cable I get a network icon with a little yellow question mark and it says "disconnected", and I can't even visit the help desk site.
                    I think we are missing the important bit here - the ethernet connection is not working, which is why you can't connect to the VPN. When you get the yellow question mark on your networking icon, when you click it, you should see something similar to "wired connection1 ". Now, hover your mouse over it and then click the 'connect' button that you should see, and see if that works. If so, you can then connect to the VPN using the cisco program or adding a new openconnect in your connection manager

Dang I forgot that virtualbox recording does not include the mouse without fiddling ;(

Comment

claydoh, I believe his problem is that he does not see the wired connection so he cannot simply click connect. I think he needs to add a wired connection as you showed toward the last of your video. (Restrict to eth0 which is the listed device). After adding the device he may be able to connect immediately or may need to reboot. By the way, open-connect is the way to go if possible. I use it daily.

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
                        claydoh, I believe his problem is that he does not see the wired connection so he cannot simply click connect. I think he needs to add a wired connection as you showed toward the last of your video. (Restrict to eth0 which is the listed device). After adding the device he may be able to connect immediately or may need to reboot. By the way, open-connect is the way to go if possible. I use it daily.
                        Yes!! This solved it! And made me feel a little foolish for not trying it first :-)

But that's just part of the learning process I guess.

Thanks to all for your help, I really appreciate it!

Jason

Comment

Working...
                        X