X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SW Update Nightmare by Non-Verifiable "libcgmanager0"

Hello,

I've been going thru this problem problem for at least three months. It started with my older laptop (with 14.04) announcing that a SW update was ready for "libcgmanager0", but when I attempted to upgrade it, I received this message: "The following piece of SW cannot be verified. WARNING:.........". I declined the install. I attempted to upgrade several times afterwords waiting for a different result but to no avail. I eventually gave up.

About a month ago, I got a new laptop and I clean installed Kubuntu 14.04. After doing all the SW updates, the laptop was doing well for a couple of days until the same problem reappeared. Every SW update ever since has been the same story, the laptop is good for a couple of days until I get a notification to update licgmanager0.

To resume things, I've had the same problem with two units, an old laptop and a new unit with a clean install. I'd like to know what this library is, what it does, and how I can fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I honestly would not worry about this. The warning is simply telling you that the package can't be verified because the package maintainer didn't sign it and/or provide the key. Often, the missing key will be identified by apt so it can be added and so avoid the message in the future.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Do you have any ppa's installed? Have you editied your software sources in any way?

libcgmanager0 is a library that allows interfacing with cgroups in the kernel. Probably necessary for something, I am sure. This package is actively maintained by Ubuntu, and is from the "main" repository components (Main, trusty-updates, and trusty-backports).

it is possible that the authentication keys for one of the components, or a ppa, is missing or is corrupt.
      Next time you have updates available, try running sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. This will show an error specifying which key is missing, and we can re-add it.

If you haven't added or edited your sources, you are safe to ignore this, and if you have done so, if you trust the sources you have added, you still are pretty safe to ignore the warning. Nothing is "wrong" from a package and dependency standpoint.

Comment

Hi Claydoh,

Thanks for the reply. I have not changed any SW source at all. The laptop seems to be fine now, but I'll follow your advise and will update you if the problem returns.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X