X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem updating with Muon and command prompt

Hello all,

For at least the last month or so, when I try to update using either Muon or the command prompt, I get an error message saying it failed to apply changes. When I use Muon, there are no further details; with the command prompt, I get this:

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntulinux.jp/ubuntu-ja/trusty/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 121.119.163.196 80]

Any insight as to what might be causing this?

Jason

Originally posted by jpc2769 View Post
    Hello all,

For at least the last month or so, when I try to update using either Muon or the command prompt, I get an error message saying it failed to apply changes. When I use Muon, there are no further details; with the command prompt, I get this:

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntulinux.jp/ubuntu-ja/trusty/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 121.119.163.196 80]

Any insight as to what might be causing this?

Jason
    I get a 404 myself. Perhaps you need a different mirror? Here is a command line approach:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/10469...gional-to-main

Comment

I was already on the main server. I had installed some Japanese language support, and this source (http://archive.ubuntulinux.jp/ubuntu-ja/trusty/Packages) I think was part of that. I disabled it in my sources list, and now I no longer get the 404. But Muon update manager still doesn't work; it downloads the new packages but doesn't install, and doesn't give me any information about why.

Anyone have some guidance on how I can begin to diagnose the problem?

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jpc2769 View Post
        But Muon update manager still doesn't work; it downloads the new packages but doesn't install, and doesn't give me any information about why.
        Launch Muon Update Manager. Click More... | Advanced... | Configure Software Sources

Under Automatic updates, what do you have checked?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have "Check for updates: Daily" and "Only notify about available updates".

Also forgot to mention I am running 14.04 LTS.

Jason

Comment

Well there you are. "Only notify about available updates." So, you will be informed of updates that are available, but they won't be downloaded (and of course, if not downloaded, not installed).

IF you want downloads to happen automatically AND to be installed, check the Download all updates in the background and Install security updates without confirmation boxes.

Comment

Thanks for your help in this I really appreciate it.

It won't let me select both "Download all updates in the background" and "Install security updates without confirmation", I can only choose one. And I don't understand why this would give me an error message when I click "Install updates". Does Muon now only install updates automatically, and not when you click "install updates"? I'm confused...

Jason

Comment

Here are some screenshots of what I am doing. In the third one you may notice that next to "Details" there is "<<". That is because I clicked that button to get more details, but... nothing.

Jason
                Attached Files

Comment

Hmm. Close Muon and open a console instead. Type:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                  The first command will update the package cache and the second will identify packages to be installed and/or upgraded. You will be offered the choice of continuing or not. Press Y and enter to perform the download and installation of the listed packages.

Does it work doing it this way?

Comment

Thank you!

I ran those commands, and it told me to run "apt-get -f install". I did, and after that Muon seemed to work, installing a bunch of updates.

Why did it work? What exactly does "apt-get -f install" do?

Jason

Comment

The -f in apt-get -f install means 'fix broken'. In the console type: man apt-get and you can read what apt-get and it's switches do.

Comment

Great, thanks again!

Jason

Comment

Working...
                        X