Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are restarts handled after automatic security updates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are restarts handled after automatic security updates?

I am running Kubuntu 14.04.3. Under Muon Discover > Sources tab > Configure Software Sources button > Updates tab, I selected "Check for updates: Daily" and "Install security updates without confirmation".

Are there any security updates that require the machine to be restarted?

If so, does Kubuntu just a pop up a notification and wait for the user to restart manually, or is there a forced restart after some time (and is this configurable)?

I am also using 14.04, have used Kubuntu since 6.something. I've never seen a forced re-start or a scheduled re-start. It is always a "suggested" restart (for changes to take effect), a pop-up or a button--some reminder--to click to make the re-start go -- at your option. If a re-start is required for changes to take effect, you will definitely be informed by a message or pop-up, by some notification, at which point you can re-start the machine or not.

(Comment: I don't follow such technical issues very closely, but I seem to have noticed that fewer re-starts are required these days, in 14.04; in fact, very seldom ... not sure why, but some of our Linux mechanics here will know.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Cool, thanks for sharing your experience. Good to hear restarts are seldom required.

It's not that I like forced restarts, but if one is needed and blocking a security update, I'd feel safer if it took care of itself sooner rather than later, and automatically too, since this box will be on and running services, but perhaps not manually looked at for periods of time.

Comment

most of the suggested restarts are because a newer kernel or kernel driver has been installed.. most "services" will stop when the newer version of the package is being installed then are restated.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Interesting. So, it sounds like Kubuntu does not have a setting to automatically restart if a security update needs it. Or at least, I have not seen one yet.

Would it make sense to schedule a periodic restart via a cron job or something, just in case there ever is such an update? The only downside I can think of is a few minutes of downtime if anyone is using the box, but I can choose a day and time with low usage.

Comment

if you want to set a cron job to restart at some time every day or week that is completely up to you. you can always look into something like ksplice to allow you to switch to the new kernel without rebooting.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I have seen the security updates install (via notification messages) even past the point of a reboot being required, its pretty flexible.
              Not many files other than the video drivers or kernel / kernel drivers would need a reboot.

You can retrain your brain from the windows days. Reboots are not mandated by every single update passed out. hehe
              Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Thanks all for your input and advice. Marking thread as solved.

Comment

Having installed 14.04 only about 5-6 weeks ago (thought it had been about 3 months) and installed around 8 or so "updates", I had my first "restart" requirement yesterday.
                  Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
                  HP15 -
                  -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
                  X