This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying file to USB hangs and does not copy correctly

I have had this problem for awhile. I assumed it was kernel related but i have upgraded to 3.19.0-30 and it is still there.

When I copy video files from my laptop to a USB drive, the copying will pause or stop several times while copying and report 0B/s being transferred. Then it will start again at 100+ B/s and quickly slow down to 0 B/s. I could deal with the inconvenience except that when I transfer the file to another computer to watch the video, the video is not correctly and fully copied over (it will hang at certain points or skip parts). I have tried it with multiple USBs and it is the same with each. If I upload the file to dropbox or another cloud service and download it onto the other computer, the file is fine. I can also play it on my laptop (the computer to which it was downloaded originally) and the file plays correctly.

The problem only seems to occur when I copy to the USB. I am not sure if I can edit a setting or check something to make the copying to USB more consistent.

First, how big are the video files being copied, and second, what is the USB drive formatted to?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

between 250mb and 1.5 gb. USB file formats have been FAT32, though I tried once by formatting one of the drives to NTFS but it was the same problem.

Comment

Working...
      X