This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus detected

I was doing a virus scan on my usb drive that has kubuntu 14.04 on it. The scan detected a Win32.Tipa.Cryp in the casper folder in vmlinuz. So I did a scan on all my .iso's and it's in all the 32 bit one but not in the 64 bit iso's. I looked up the virus and it's real serious to windows users it appears. Look here..

http://www.nmwpc.com/Unknown/remove-Win32.Tipa.Cryp/

Question is, is this a false detection or quite real? I got my iso's from the actual sites like kubuntu.org, ubuntu.com, zorinos.com, etc. Antivirus can not remove it from the iso but can once it's extracted to the usb stick.
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

It can't infect your linux machine, but get rid of it if you have any windows machines on your network.

Comment

Did you install WINE or GoPlayOnLinux on your machine?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Unless you got your iso from an untrusted site, it is extremely likely a false alarm.

The casper directory is where the compressed live image is kept, along with a few other files needed for booting.

Comment

There is no wine or playonlinux on my machine. All the iso's came from their sites, kubuntu.org, ubuntu.com. I downloaded a new one and it's in that one too. This is strange and should be checked.
          Alienware 17 R2
          ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
          ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
          Nvidia Graphics
          16 Ram
          Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Curious. What Virus scanner did you use?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, it should be checked -- by your virus scanner company as a false positive.

if there actually was an infected file on a linux iso, especially a *buntu, it would make international news. With the sheer number of downloads, any virus would be detected by many many people's antivirus software long ago, let alone any virus scanning done by each of the thousands of mirrors hosting the files.

Comment

Working...
              X