This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kontact weirdness

i'm upgrading my box... the system (trusty) is staying the same, but i've got a new box, with more RAM and a bigger internal hard disk.

before starting the upgrade, i made a complete backup of my /home directory. i installed the new system and got it running. i dumped the backup back into my home directory, fired up kontact, and...

nothing. 8/

i still have the default-installed kontact instance, with none of my accounts or email. i'm getting a bit anxious. i'm not to the "worrying" stage yet, because i still have the backup on a separate USB drive, but it doesn't do me any good if i can't access it.

please help. thanks!
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

I do not use Kontact ,,,,,,,but when you say "i dumped the backup back into my home directory" what exactly do you mean ?

for that to have any chance of working you would (if the backup was of /home/you) half to overwrite /home/you in the new install with the /home/you backup.

not just extract it somewhere in /home/you,,,,,,,,+ it should have the same user ID "UID" and name

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      I do not use Kontact ,,,,,,,but when you say "i dumped the backup back into my home directory" what exactly do you mean ?
      i mean that i extracted my tar-gzipped archive into the /home/me directory, and overwrote everything.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      + it should have the same user ID "UID" and name
      that may be a problem... i don't know what the UID is on the old computer, although it is the same username.
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

it should be the same ,,,,,,,,,, *buntu defaults to UID of 1000 for the first user on the system

you can check what your is with
        Code:
        id name
        where "name" is the user name ,,,,,,,,,I think their may be some tar options that half to be used to preserve these on a compression and/or extraction ,,,,,,But I do not do this ,,,,so not sure what thay are !

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

How did you make the archive?
          If you're sitting wondering,
          Which Batman is the best,
          There's only one true answer my friend,
          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

UID=1000 which probably means that UID=1000 on the old machine, as well, since it was running essentially the same operating system...
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

i made a bash script that did a tar -cvf on my /home/user directory, and stored it on an external USB drive. i then used cron to schedule it every two weeks.
              Last edited by przxqgl; Sep 29, 2015, 03:04 PM. Reason: too many computers... 8/
              ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
                i made a bash script that did a tar -cvf on my /home/user directory, and stored it on an external USB drive. i then used cron to schedule it every two weeks.
                I used tar for backups a long time ago, I use backintime now which uses rsync under the hood, I found that using tar -Pcf myhome.tar /home/elijathgold/* wouldn't backup hidden files and directories but tar -Pcf myhome.tar /home/elijathgold would. I don't know if this would have changed by now but can you look in the archive using tar -t /full/path/to/archive.tar.gz | less or your preferred GUI to see if hidden files have been included?
                It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                  I use backintime now
                  i have been unable to get backintime to work, but i haven't tried it on my new machine... i prefer to get things up and running correctly before setting up things like that.

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                  see if hidden files have been included?
                  tar -cvf includes all hidden files and directories.
                  ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Yeah I know but the /* at then end prevented it from doing so
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

and it didn't include the /* ... i gave it
                      Code:
                      tar -xvf /media/USB-drive/<date>-<hostname>.tar /home/user
                      and it gave me all the hidden files, which i can see in the archive.
                      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

The next check is have they been restored to your hard drive. ls -al will show all files, their permissions, owner and group.

BTW if these commands are "teaching granny to suck eggs" as my mum used to say then please say so. I don't really know what that means either!
                        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

ls -la showed all of the hidden files and directories, which also show up in dolphin when i use the "Show Hidden Files" button. as far as i can tell, they're mostly there... significantly, a missing directory is /.kde/share/apps/kmail which is where my mail is hidden away. also, there doesn't appear to be anything in the directories that are not hidden, with the exception of my dropbox (which doesn't work)...
                          ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

and, when i went into the archive and specifically extracted ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail it spun around and said that it was extracting around 1,200 files, but when it was done, it was still not there...

so i used kdesudo ark, opened the archive and extracted ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail and it spun around and said that it was extracting around 1,200 files, but when it was done, STILL it was not there...

what 8/
                            Last edited by przxqgl; Sep 29, 2015, 07:29 PM.
                            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

What happens if you run tar -zxvf mytar.ball.tar.gz .kde/share/apps/kmail from the command line?
                              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
                              X