Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hang/crash about twice a day... any idea what it's about?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
    following the directions for the console application "smartctl", i came up with the following, which does not bode well...

Code:
    salamandir@Gingko:~$ sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
    smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [i686-linux-3.13.0-63-generic] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
    # 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     29025         323066047
    i'm no linux genius, but i'm reading that as "you need to get a replacement for /dev/sda pretty soon". is that a correct interpretation?
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

Searching with: 'smartctl read failure'

- Smartctl read failure; Is my HD failing?: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ailing-920243/
      - Is my hard drive about to fail?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/22704...-about-to-fail
      - etc...
      Try Me !

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
        the "System Monitor Processes tab" where? i don't have a "System Monitor Processes tab" in a place where i can see it...
        Its file name is ksysguard, but in the K Menu it has the name "System Monitor" in All Applications-->System-->System Monitor.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
          i'm no linux genius, but i'm reading that as "you need to get a replacement for /dev/sda pretty soon". is that a correct interpretation?
          Short answer "Yes".

Make sure you keep any important data on that drive backed up elsewhere and replace the drive as soon as you can. It has bad sectors on it and it will continue to get worse over time (most likely). The way SMART monitoring works is that a drive will still pass an overall health check but really it is silently dying. By the time it fails the SMART health check it will be just about totally stuffed. So you'd be better to bite the bullet and replace it as soon as, especially as it seems to be the cause of these lock-ups you have been experiencing.

Did you test the other drive that disappeared after you blew out the dust too? Was it OK? You should test all the drives while your at it.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

as usual, i appreciate the help you guys have given me. i ran smartctl on both drives, and got the following:

Code:
            salamandir@Gingko:~$ sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
            # 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     29056         323066047
            # 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%     29025         323066047

salamandir@Gingko:~$ sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdb

# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     38197         -
            however, this is a 180gb drive and a 200gb drive, and i can replace both of them with a brand new 1TB drive for a lot less than i can search out used drives that small... and for a little bit more, i can replace the whole machine, which i'm probably going to do.

of course, i'll still run kubuntu, but soon it will be on a totally new machine.
            Last edited by przxqgl; Sep 21, 2015, 09:06 PM.
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

you guys were right. the disk was dying. i've replaced it with a new disk, inside a new machine, and everything's back to normal. thanks a lot! 8)
              ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Working...
              X