This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New email notification not working

In 14.04, using Thunderbird 38.2 email, I'm not getting a notification as an "i" text pop-up ("show a message") from the Notification widget (in the system tray). I do get a sound played when a new email pops in. In the little circle that shows the number of notifications that have occurred, the new email arrivals is not included in that number shown. All other events (AFAIK) do work OK wrt Notifications (sounds and show message).

On the Notification in system tray, rt-click, Notification settings shows Application notifications checked and File transfers and jobs checked.

K > Apps > System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Manage Notifications, Event source = "New email notify" and there, for "New email arrived," both "play a sound" and "show a message" in a pop-up are checked. I can't see any other likely relevant choices for "Event source" (other than "New email notify").

Any ideas what I'm missing here?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Hi Mike,

I recently noticed my pop-up new email notifications for Thunderbird stopped too. I'm also using 14.04 and Thunderbird 38.2. I do get the new email sound as you do, but no pop-up.

All exactly as you describe, so you're not alone with this.

I've checked the notification settings in Thunderbird and they are all as I set them to be ages ago. Not sure if the problem is in Thunderbird or Kubuntu.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

And if you google this issue, lots of posts are 1-3 years old, and many suggest you install all sorts of "notifier"-like packages. Makes no sense to do that unless you know what you are doing. There are many such-sounding packages listed in 14.04 repos. Besides, the message and count indicator was working a while ago (I didn't keep track of the dates). On 8-25-15, there was a Thunderbird update ... maybe it un-installed a needed package, I'll try to check, though I'm no expert doing this sort of forensic thing.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm another one with this issue and since Thunderbird uses it's own notifications it seems that an update has broken compatibility. Whether that's an API change in KDE/Plasma or a regression in Thunderbird, hopefully another update will fix it fairly shortly. At least the sound alerts me to a mail so it's not the end of the world... yet!
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

The 8-25-15 Thunderbird update probably did it. Not the end of the world, but is nice to see at a glance how many notifications popped in while PC is unattended. Thanks for posting confirmations.

Comment

Looking through Muon Package Manager, there is the (uninstalled) package "mail notification." Haven't tried it, I'm still fixing the effects of a few experiments I conducted yesterday ((install-uninstall, lost some packages! tracing them down ... )

Comment

You may not want to install that as it looks to be for evolution:

Code:
              elija@andromeda-ascendant:~$ apt-cache showpkg mail-notification
              Package: mail-notification
              Versions: 
              5.4.dfsg.1-13 (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_vivid_universe_binary-amd64_Packages)
               Description Language: 
                               File: /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_vivid_universe_binary-amd64_Packages
                                MD5: 6eee469996225ece2182603100f268fc
               Description Language: en
                               File: /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_vivid_universe_i18n_Translation-en
               Description Language: en_GB
                               File: /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_vivid_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB

Reverse Depends: 
                mail-notification:i386,mail-notification
                mail-notification-evolution,mail-notification 5.4.dfsg.1-13
                gnome-icon-theme,mail-notification 5.4.dfsg.1-2.2
              Dependencies: 
              5.4.dfsg.1-13 - gnome-icon-theme (0 (null)) gnome-keyring (0 (null)) gstreamer0.10-tools (0 (null)) libgnomevfs2-extra (0 (null)) notification-daemon (0 (null)) gconf2 (2 2.28.1-2) gconf-service (0 (null)) libc6 (2 2.14) libcairo2 (2 1.2.4) libdbus-1-3 (2 1.0.2) libdbus-glib-1-2 (2 0.88) libgconf-2-4 (2 3.2.5) libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (2 2.22.0) libglib2.0-0 (2 2.35.9) libgmime-2.6-0 (2 2.6.4) libgnome-keyring0 (2 2.20.3) libgnome2-0 (2 2.17.3) libgnomevfs2-0 (2 1:2.17.90) libgtk-3-0 (2 3.0.0) libnotify4 (2 0.7.0) libpango-1.0-0 (2 1.14.0) libsasl2-2 (0 (null)) libssl1.0.0 (2 1.0.0) libx11-6 (0 (null)) libxml2 (2 2.7.4) fetchyahoo (0 (null)) getlive (0 (null)) mail-notification-evolution (0 (null)) mail-notification:i386 (0 (null)) 
              Provides: 
              5.4.dfsg.1-13 - 
              Reverse Provides:
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

What about this, from the GUI Muon Package Manager Details tab:

mail-notification works with system trays implementing the freedesktop.org System Tray Specification, such as the GNOME Panel Notification Area, the xfce4 Notification Area and the KDE System Tray.
                Mail Notification features include:

• multiple mailbox support
                • mbox, MH, Maildir, Sylpheed, POP3, IMAP, Gmail and Evolution support
                • Mozilla products (Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, ...) mailbox support
                • SASL authentication support
                • APOP authentication support
                • SSL/TLS support
                • automatic detection of mailbox format
                • immediate notification (depends on your settings)

• HIG 2.0 compliance

Note: Evolution support is available with mail-notification-evolution.

Comment

(I fixed the stuff I broke yesterday, deleted (they were removed by Muon, not be me) yesterday but re-installed today psensors, vlc-plugin-notify, and python-notify! As I said in a post above, makes no sense to experiment with packages unless you really know what you are doing!)

Comment

I don't think I'll be installing it, look at the dependencies:

Code:
                    elija@andromeda-ascendant:~$ sudo apt-get install mail-notification
                    [sudo] password for elija: 
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree       
                    Reading state information... Done
                    The following extra packages will be installed:
                      evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common
                      evolution-data-server-online-accounts evolution-plugins fetchyahoo getlive gnome-desktop3-data gnome-user-guide
                      gstreamer0.10-tools hwdata libcamel-1.2-49 libconvert-binhex-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl libebackend-1.2-7
                      libebook-1.2-14 libebook-contacts-1.2-0 libecal-1.2-16 libedata-book-1.2-20 libedata-cal-1.2-23
                      libedataserver-1.2-18 liberror-perl libevolution libgail-3-0 libgdata-common libgdata19 libgeocode-glib0
                      libgmime-2.6-0 libgnome-desktop-3-10 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgnomevfs2-extra libgoa-1.0-0b
                      libgoa-1.0-common libgtkhtml-4.0-0 libgtkhtml-4.0-common libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0 libgtkspell3-3-0 libgweather-3-6
                      libgweather-common libio-multiplex-perl libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libmail-spf-perl libmime-tools-perl
                      libnet-cidr-perl libnet-dns-perl libnet-ip-perl libnet-server-perl libnetaddr-ip-perl liboauth0 libpst4
                      libsignon-glib1 libsys-hostname-long-perl libterm-readkey-perl libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-common libyelp0
                      libytnef0 mail-notification-evolution pkg-config postfix procmail re2c sa-compile spamassassin spamc yelp yelp-xsl
                    Suggested packages:
                      evolution-ews evolution-plugins-experimental evolution-data-server-dbg liblog-log4perl-perl postfix-mysql
                      postfix-pgsql postfix-ldap postfix-pcre sasl2-bin dovecot-common postfix-cdb postfix-doc razor libdbi-perl pyzor
                      libmail-dkim-perl
                    Recommended packages:
                      default-mta mail-transport-agent fetchmail
                    The following NEW packages will be installed
                      evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common
                      evolution-data-server-online-accounts evolution-plugins fetchyahoo getlive gnome-desktop3-data gnome-user-guide
                      gstreamer0.10-tools hwdata libcamel-1.2-49 libconvert-binhex-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl libebackend-1.2-7
                      libebook-1.2-14 libebook-contacts-1.2-0 libecal-1.2-16 libedata-book-1.2-20 libedata-cal-1.2-23
                      libedataserver-1.2-18 liberror-perl libevolution libgail-3-0 libgdata-common libgdata19 libgeocode-glib0
                      libgmime-2.6-0 libgnome-desktop-3-10 libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgnomevfs2-extra libgoa-1.0-0b
                      libgoa-1.0-common libgtkhtml-4.0-0 libgtkhtml-4.0-common libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0 libgtkspell3-3-0 libgweather-3-6
                      libgweather-common libio-multiplex-perl libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0 libmail-spf-perl libmime-tools-perl
                      libnet-cidr-perl libnet-dns-perl libnet-ip-perl libnet-server-perl libnetaddr-ip-perl liboauth0 libpst4
                      libsignon-glib1 libsys-hostname-long-perl libterm-readkey-perl libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 libwebkitgtk-3.0-common libyelp0
                      libytnef0 mail-notification mail-notification-evolution pkg-config postfix procmail re2c sa-compile spamassassin
                      spamc yelp yelp-xsl
                    0 to upgrade, 70 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
                    Need to get 24.6 MB of archives.
                    After this operation, 144 MB of additional disk space will be used.
                    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
                    I'm not saying that it would break anything but for my taste that's way too much to install just for the possibility of getting email notifications working when they could be fixed in another update. If you go for it, let us know how it works out.

Originally posted by Qqmike
                    As I said in a post above, makes no sense to experiment with packages unless you really know what you are doing!
                    Messing about is a great to start figuring that out; and that's why I love VirtualBox
                    Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 02, 2015, 06:10 AM.
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

elifathegold: I don't think I'll be installing it, look at the dependencies:
                      Me neither. That's way too much to sort out or back out of if you mess things up! This also is not an urgent issue for me. If/when a Thunderbird updates fixes it, it will be interesting to (try to) see what packages came with the update that might have or probably fixed it.

Comment

I have been using kshowmail for some years now. That's working pretty good. It was the only mail notifier I ever got to work.

Comment

I've given up waiting on a fix for this from Mozilla ... I'm pretty sure it's a Thunderbird regression that's caused the email pop-up notification to stop working.

Today I installed a Thunderbird plugin called "Mailbox Alert". It's VERY configurable and works great. It doesn't use the in-built KDE notification system but I guess you can't have everything. Just search for and install it from the Thunderbird add-on manager. Here is the help page which gives an indication of what it can do: http://tjeb.nl/Projects/Mailbox_Alert/Manual/index.html Interestingly, the author of the add-on uses KDE too (see the screenshots on that page).
                          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Rod J: I've given up waiting on a fix for this from Mozilla ... I'm pretty sure it's a Thunderbird regression that's caused the email pop-up notification to stop working.
                            Yep, same here. OTOH, I kind of like it this way now -- I'd rather not be reminded of all the incoming emails from lists I've subscribed to! I check the Inbox only when I'm in the right mood. This is me before: . This is me with my new policy:

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                              Yep, same here. OTOH, I kind of like it this way now -- I'd rather not be reminded of all the incoming emails from lists I've subscribed to! I check the Inbox only when I'm in the right mood. This is me before: . This is me with my new policy:
                              Just an FYI - in reading the documentation from the add-on's author, it looks like you can only show notifications from the accounts and / or folders desired.....cool!
                              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                              K*Digest Blog
                              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X