X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin cannot access share via FTP on NAS4FREE server

Hello.

I have the following problem:

I have a share on my NAS4Free server. I have enabled FTP service there. I get the "missing permissions" type of error when I try to access my share via FTP using Dolphin (Kubuntu 14.04.2) - I can see my server in the Network, then I can see my share, but no way forward. It is strange that Dolphin doesn't prompt for user name&password.

The picture is very different when I use FileZilla - with IP, user name & password I get no issues at all. I know, that this should be sufficient - use FileZilla for FTP access - , but I want it to be more convenient - use Dolphin for the purpose.

Can any one help me to find what is different with FTP access when using "normal" FTP client and the Dolphin ? And yes - I have spent almost a week in the Internet trying to find the answers myself. No luck

Regards
    ArtūrasB.
    Last edited by artbar; Jul 14, 2015, 04:28 AM.

Does FTP even have "shares"? FTP is nothing more than a server and a login to that, it does not broadcast any shares. Are you sure you are not seeing something else, ie. browsing to a Samba share that is *also* published by the NAS?

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
      Does FTP even have "shares"? FTP is nothing more than a server and a login to that, it does not broadcast any shares. Are you sure you are not seeing something else, ie. browsing to a Samba share that is *also* published by the NAS?
      I see same share via SMB/CIFS - I can log in, browse directories&files. With FTP no go once I click on the share name.
      Again, that's in the Dolphin.

With normal FTP client - no problem at all.

Comment

I still don't see how there can even be a share you can see and browse. All regular FTP programs require configuration of 'shares'?.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
          I still don't see how there can even be a share you can see and browse. All regular FTP programs require configuration of 'shares'?.
          Well, I'm still new in NAS world, but I'll try to explain (hopefully with no big mistakes ):

1. There is a RAID1 mirror on my NAS.
          2. I created a mount point, let's call it MediaShare.
          3. 2 services are enabled - SMB/CIFS and FTP. I created share for SMB/CIFS - let's name it MediaShare (yes, same name as mount point's name). Server name is "fileserver".

Now, if I browser Network in Dolphin and choose "Samba shares" (don't remember exactly) then I see "fileserver", I pick it and see "MediaShare", after picking this I see all top level directories on my mounting point.
          If I try Network->Network Services->FTP, then I get "fileserver", then "MediaShare" and here I stop with the error message about missing/insufficient permissions.
          And when I connect to my "fileserver" with FileZilla, then I get "MediaShare", double click it and I see my directories as with Samba in the first example.

Thus I wonder how Dolphin's FTP access is different from, say, FileZilla's. I couldn't find any good manual on how to configure&use FTP in Dolphin yet.... FTP should be the same in both cases - Dolphin and FileZilla... Confusing.

Comment

There really isn't any configuration for ftp in kde, other than toggling pasv mode off and on in System Settings' networking section.

Comment

See https://userbase.kde.org/File_transfers
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Solved

Thank you for your attempts to help me, but non of suggestions worked

I solved the problem by changing mount point owner in NAS4Free from root to ftp user. This strange because other user I tried to connect was in owner group of my mount point...
                Anyway, the problem is solved and I have to referrer to the documentation in order to understand reasons it didn't work with root user as the owner.

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

Working...
                X