This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to burn a dvd

I have an avi file of the play my school recently put on and I'd like to burn it to a dvd so I can see it on my television. It seems that k3b only burns the file directly without making it compatible with a dvd player for tv so I downloaded DeVeDe which supposedly fixes that. Unfortunately it crashes every time I try to get the program to start the process, and I can't find anything else in Muon which seems trustworthy. I'm using 14.04 LTS 64-bit on an i3 computer with 4gb memory. Any suggestions?

I have not used it in a while, but I used to use DeVeDe to create a dvd with menus, etc.
    It is extremely clunky in the ui, but there are some good how-to's out there.
    There is a new, written from scratch version I have not tried out
    http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Last time I did this was sometime in 2011, so things may be different, but I had troubles using avi files for authoring a dvd in general, no matter what the tool I used, so I had to use avidemux, a gui tool, to convert the avi to (iirc) mp4. It took a bit of experimentation to get the video right, but once I had those settings down, it was an easily reproducible process in both tools.

Actually, I would suggest giving dvdstyler a try, it is one of the few dvd authoring tools still being worked on actively it seems, and is supposed to support avi files natively. It did not work well for me at all, but again this was some time ago now.

There is a ppa with the latest version, instructions can be found here

Comment

Use kdenlive to encode the video to mpeg2 format then use the DVD wizard to put it on to a DVD.

Comment

Thanks for both replies. I tried DVDStyler and that worked fine. Couldn't get DeVeDe to work at all. But now I don't need it.

Comment

Working...
        X