Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where can I find the java "control panel"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where can I find the java "control panel"?

I have a dilemma. I'm required to use some software for university that is launched via Java Web Start, and as of a few days ago it will no longer run. The error message I get is "your security settings have blocked an application signed with an expired or not-yet-valid certificate from running". Googling this error revealed that the latest Java update has apparently tightened up security, and a lot of apps have been broken by it. The only solution, apart from waiting for app devs to fix their apps, is to add a "java security exception", which you can apparently do through something called the "control panel".

The problem is, I have no idea where to find this control panel. Its location seems to depend on where the Java SDK is installed, which, according to
    Code:
    readlink -f $(which java)
    is
    Code:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java
    on my machine. However, there's no Control Panel in there, and googling hasn't yielded any mention of where the Control Panel should be located in Ubuntu. Is there even such a thing on Linux? If not, how do I tell Java to (at least temporarily) allow a particular app to run with an invalid security certificate?

running java -version gives me the following output, if that helps:
    Code:
    java version "1.7.0_76"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_76-b13)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.76-b04, mixed mode)
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

My googling is different from yours ... LOTS of suggestions, all contradictory!

'ControlPanel' executable file in your java directory;
    'jcontrol' file;
    javaws -viewer

See if any of these work.

Do you have to use Oracle's Java instead of openjdk?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

thankyou, javaws -viewer worked for me!
      I can no longer keep track of all the different versions of Java I've installed over the years (mostly while trying to get Eclipse to work). At one point I think I had both openJDK and Oracle Java installed...that might still be the case, for all I know.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Working...
      X