This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Does Not Shutdown - Seems to Freeze During Process

Hello all....I've seen many posts regarding computers not shutting down after installing 14.04; none of the suggestions have worked for me.

I have a Intel Core2 Quad Q2300 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 82G33/G31 Intel Graphics Card (bane of my existence).

I installed 64-bit 14.04 wholly new on my hard drive completely removing Win7 (not dual booted).

Problem: The computer reboots from from the GUI. When I try to Shutdown in the GUI, i quickly exits and brings up the "kubuntu" splash screen with the blue halo expanding around the text. In rapid succession, the hard drive powers down, my keyboard lights (CAPS, NUM LOCK) go out, and the blue halo freezes upon contracting. I have to hold down my PC hard power button to shut down the power supply.

Attempted Resolutions:
    1) Edit GRUB and added: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off" and even made sure the quotes marks were right and tried: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" acpi=off

2) Attemped same as above using GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

3) Deleting ksmserverrc from /.kde/share/config - thinking it may be a issue with LightDM

4) Added wistron_btns to the blacklist

5) upon attemping entering: sudo shutdown -h now I get the same result

Any suggestions? The amount of research I've put into this so far is worth about 1 year of me just bending my lazy a** 4 inches to reach my power button.....but alas, I like to get Kubuntu running as normally as possible. Its a hobby for me.

Any help is appreciated....thank you!

-Chris

Interesting development while troubleshooting:

When I attempt a shutdown....I have to HOLD DOWN the hard power button for a good 5 seconds to power the machine down. If, after I attempt a shutdown, I use the Alt+SysRq REISUO, a quick press of the hard power button will shut it down. Also the Alt+SysRq REISUB reboots the machine with no issues.

!!!EVER MORE INTERESTING....when I attempt an Alt+SysRq REISUO with the GUI load and programs loaded.....the hard drive and keyboard shut down like a regular shutdown attempt...BUT THE SCREEN FREEZES! I can still see whatever programs/web site I may have opened before the Alt SysRq command. Then when I press the hard power button, it instantly shuts down.

Just figured this may help some Linux experts get a better sense on whats going on.

Comment

freeze during shutdown/restart

Having the same problem in ubuntu server 14.04, ubutntu studio 14.04, and kubuntu 14.10 plasma5. Yes, I have all installed for various reasons. Will not restart or shutdown. The latter, I can just hit reset. no ill effects seen from that yet, but it will happen, so I'd like to avoid

Using default drivers. no nvidia driver installed yet. May try that, but reluctant as I have had bad results before.
      Last edited by vsreeser; Feb 08, 2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

ok, it seems to have fixed itself.

Comment

Working...
        X