This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up DVDs and Blu Ray Disks to my HDD

First of all, I have installed kubuntu-restricted-extras. Secondly, I can't figure out an easy way to rip my disks backing them up to my HDD. I would like to watch the movies directly from the HDD and avoid the inconvenience of handling disks. I've tried DVD:Rip and one other one that I've since removed.

I've been researching this issue for a good month, but the processes I've seen online are not plug and play. For the most part, they seem to be work-a-rounds. There doesn't seem to be a well defined process or application to rip disks using Kubuntu.

I'd like a program and procedure that is almost "turnkey" if possible. I'll "play" with settings later after I can get some good rips. My Windoze friends don't seem to have any trouble ripping disks like I seem to be having. While I appreciate choices, there seem to be so many that I can't get a disk to rip. Any advice would be appreciated. An easy to use process and application recommendation would be even better.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

I did what you want to do a couple of weeks ago.

I used Handbrake which is very simple to use. The only problem is that Handbrake only gives two options of video format, mp4 and mkv. What format were you thinking of backing up your DVD's to? I backed my DVD's to mp4 format.

Comment

Exactly! MP4 is my format of choice. Thanks so much. I'll install handbrake and see if I can duplicate your success.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Thanks again for your input NickStone. It works! Some disks seem to be problematic, but overall, I'm able to get what I need. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X