This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark_Extract issue - with kde ppa

I pulled down a .zip archive from a cloud account (onedrive)
    But it doesn't extract.
    Other kde OS's have no issue and if I roll the Ark package back to the release version for 14.04, it works fine.

As it is, the ppa Ark will archive and extract files of it's own making within the system.
    kubuntu 20.10

Do you have zip and unzip installed?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Do you have zip and unzip installed?
      Indeed yes
      kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	zip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	642707
        kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Have you tried using unzip on the '.zip' file?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Have you tried using unzip on the '.zip' file?
            No
            I'll have to try this later. Off to work soon.
            kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Patch from Debian use_libarchive_for_zip_files causes problems

Other kde OS's have no issue and if I roll the Ark package back to the release version for 14.04, it works fine.
              All (K)ubuntus 14.04..15.04 are using the Ark 2.19. Some of them are using the 'use_libarchive_for_zip_files' patch.

The patch is used at Kubuntu 14.10 and 15.04. Also the Kubuntu backports (Kubuntu 14.04) & updates PPA is using the patch with the KDE 4.14.2. The Ubuntu repositories, Trusty (KDE 4.13), is not using the Debian patch.

Known problems:

Bug #1404239: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...k/+bug/1404239

- The patched Ark can't extract password protected zip files.

Bug #1388532: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...k/+bug/1388532

- The patched Ark fails to produce zip archive instead making gzip with the zip suffix
              Last edited by Wheel Inventor; Jan 26, 2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

There are two ways around this problem that I am aware of (besides compiling the ark source yourself and building your own package):

1. Downgrade to ark 4.13.3. This can be done in the Muon Package Manager by searching for the "ark" package, clicking the "Versions" tab at the bottom, double-click "4:4.13.3-0ubuntu0.1 (trusty-updates)" and click "Force Version", and then "Apply Changes". After ark has been downgraded, right-click on it and select "Lock at Current Version" to keep Muon/apt from wanting to upgrade it.

2. If you're running Kubuntu 64-bit with the backports PPA enabled (you should be running KDE 4.14.2), you can download and install the package I built reverting the "use_libarchive_for_zip_files" patch and adding the "use_utf8_infozip" patch which resolves the issue that caused debian to switch ark's zip handling to libarchive in the first place. You shouldn't need to lock this package, as it doesn't appear Kubuntu Trusty backports will be receiving any further updates to newer KDE versions. You can find the package here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...scc1_amd64.deb

Simply double-click the .deb file to install.

NOTE: You use this package at your own risk! It's generally not recommended to download packages made by random guys on forums. So, you have to determine if you can trust the package source (me).

Comment

Working...
                X