This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ripping problems

I put in an audio-CD and clicked on "Extract digital audio with K3B". The little bouncing ball came up, then went away, but no K3b window. However

$ ps -edf | grep k3b
    jon 11306 2029 0 10:12 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/k3b --cddarip /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0

Tried again, and now:

$ ps -edf | grep k3b
    jon 11306 2029 0 10:12 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/k3b --cddarip /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0
    jon 13211 2284 0 10:21 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/k3b --cddarip /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0

There is NO way I can kill these guys, even with kill -9 as root.

I've tried rubyripper and soundjuicer with similar results. The ball bounces, but nothing happens.

Oh, yes, the first time, k3b popped up a window with a vague window about other software being available, but nothing precise.

I tried installing good ol' ffmpeg, but

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
    Package ffmpeg is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'ffmpeg' has no installation candidate

What the dickens does that mean?

I suspect those k3b processes are somehow hung up on the hardware and I am destined to reboot. But how to get the darn thing to work?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I see at

http://askubuntu.com/questions/43254...ories-in-14-04

that Ubuntu has started using a libav package instead of ffmpeg. Ok, but if I install libav-tools, will k3b and other rippers know how to use it?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Have you installed kubuntu-restricted-extras?
      I beleive this meta package will install all media packages fro you to play all (if not most) media files including command line tools to rip CD/DVD's. I believe.

Comment

you should be able to use dolphin to rip your audio cd tracks. navigate to the cd and you will see folders for each type you can rip open up the folder and simply copy the files to your hard drive. this is a newer and most likley more supported method then k3b too.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks, everybody. Installing kubuntu-restricted-extras did the trick. Will try Dolphin the next time.

Comment

Uh, how do I mark this thread resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
              Uh, how do I mark this thread resolved?
              Check under thread tools in top bar area.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X