This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine folder - can I delete it

I tried Wine one time but the Windows program just didn't work and it was only one Windows program that I wanted to access.

Today I was viewing some of the hidden folders and saw Wine. There is a folder hierarchy; a Drive C folder; and then sub-folders in it such as Program Files & Users & Windows. Then within the previous sub-files there are more sub-files.

Are these Wine folders on the Linux partition and can I just delete the files?

This is a dual boot laptop and I don't want to destroy my Windows.

The hidden /.wine folder in your /home dir is totally self contained, and has nothing to do with your actual Windows OS at all. It is perfectly safe to delete. Wine is basically a set of libraries that attempt to recreate a set of Windows system libraries that try to allow Windows programs to run in a Linux environment, The folder you see is where the configurations and program files go when you try installing a program. If you no longer use it, you can also uninstall Wine itself, but note that doing so will not delete the hidden folder in your /home directory.

Comment

Thanks.

I deleted it and freed up quite a few MB's. Maybe now I have enough extra space to do an update on this old laptop. For lack of HD space, I haven't been able to update but maybe I should keep this old laptop on the Long term release. I always like to have the latest but sometimes it is best to keep the old stuff away from the latest greatest updates.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      The hidden /.wine folder in your /home dir is totally self contained, and has nothing to do with your actual Windows OS at all. It is perfectly safe to delete. Wine is basically a set of libraries that attempt to recreate a set of Windows system libraries that try to allow Windows programs to run in a Linux environment, The folder you see is where the configurations and program files go when you try installing a program. If you no longer use it, you can also uninstall Wine itself, but note that doing so will not delete the hidden folder in your /home directory.

Comment

Working...
      X