Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer files from Kubuntu to a tablet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer files from Kubuntu to a tablet?

How to transfer files from Linux OS on a PC to a SDHC card inside a tablet?

I'm new at the tablet-thing ...

The tablet is Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4. I installed a 32 GB SanDisk SDHC card into the tablet.

I connected the tablet to the PC (that runs Kubuntu 14.04) using the USB cable that came with the tablet.
    But then nothing happens until I get a pop-up on the tablet telling me some software is missing and I need to install it, support is for Windows or Mac -- I presume this message is coming from the tablet?

The goal is to transfer some files from this PC (Kubuntu 14.04) to the SDHC card in the tablet.

The software that is missing, I presume, must be the package that assists in being able to transfer files from the PC to the tablet. I do have a Windows laptop in the house, but am asking how this is done with a Linux PC.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

btw, I'm trying to do this via a USB cable (between PC and tablet), not by any wireless method (for which I did find some possible apps at the Play Store).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Darn, I forgot to google (sorry Rog). Finding out about MTP ... found something in Muon's list ... so I'm messing with this as time permits, will report back.

Comment

Geez, sorry, got it: Muon, install MTP-tools. Does what I need for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          Geez, sorry, got it: Muon, install MTP-tools. Does what I need for now.
          You can also try KDE Connect, works well for me with a Nexus 7
          sigpic

Comment

You need kio-mtp package installed. It should be installed by default.

Than your plugged in tablet should pop up in dolphin. Just make sure that one instance of dolphin is running. 2 opened dolphin windows will probably crash kio-mtp.
            Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

schnelle, kio-mtp is installed. File transfers do seem to work without mtp-tools installed.

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                You can also try KDE Connect, works well for me with a Nexus 7
                Another vote for KDE Connect. It rocks!

Comment

Another vote for KDE Connect. It rocks
                  Ah, OK, I saw it in the Play Store but maybe I should take another, and closer, look at it. Thanks, guys, for the input.

Comment

It looks neat, but looks like it is for wireless, PC-to-tablet. My PC is on Ethernet, wired. Both the tablet and the PC share the same Centurylink modem-router.

Comment

The PC doesn't have to be running wireless. For example, my phone is on wi-fi right now, and my laptop is connected to Ethernet. My home DHCP server supplies IP addresses to both. KDE Connect will work in any connectivity scenario so long as both devices are in the same subnet. If your Clink router is assigning DHCP to your PC and your phone, KDE Connect will work for you.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it soon. The WiFi tablet deal is still new to me. You are talking to someone who still uses a wired mouse and wired keyboard on my desktop PC. Flip phones, no iphones. Fact is, the main reason I got the tablet is to force myself to learn the platform and form factors (oh man, that teeny-weeny micro SDHC card ...), and at $200 from Best Buy's Blacker-than-Black-pre-get-ready-suprise-extended-before-during-and-after Friday, it was a no-brainer and no risk. Thanks, again.

Comment

KDE Connect or WiFi Transfer Pro both fantastic for transferring files

Comment

Working...
                          X