Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, my 14.04 was a super clean, full install of 14.04 (starting with fresh partitioning with GParted Live CD).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

not having this prob @hear Kubuntu-14.04 KDE-4.13.3 Bleachbit-1.0-1 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the 1.0 is what I got from muon , I do not see a 1.1, 1.2 or 1.4 ??

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally, I also had Bleachbit 1.0-1, installed from Muon. You can also go to the Bleachbit site and get the deb files for other versions, click to download, get the Open the deb installer dialog, and that's it. It will then show up in your Muon with the newly installed version #. NONE of the versions worked for me, though. We have the same i386, KDE, and 14.04 Wonder why my X is messed up (or whatever, see that error message above)?
        Thanks for checking. Whatthefunk also said he's got this problem, though ...
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

did you ever try loging out and switching to a TTY (ctrl+alt+F6) loging in and deleting your .Xauthority >> log out ,,ctrl+alt+F7 and log in to the GUI and try Bleachbit again ?

I saw that you mentioned it at 1 point .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            Originally, I also had Bleachbit 1.0-1, installed from Muon. You can also go to the Bleachbit site and get the deb files for other versions, click to download, get the Open the deb installer dialog, and that's it. It will then show up in your Muon with the newly installed version #. NONE of the versions worked for me, though. We have the same i386, KDE, and 14.04 Wonder why my X is messed up (or whatever, see that error message above)?
            Thanks for checking. Whatthefunk also said he's got this problem, though ...
            Are talking about this:
            Code:
            [COLOR=#333333]~$ bleachbit[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333]info: starting BleachBit version 1.2[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333]/usr/share/bleachbit/Unix.py:44: ImportWarning: Not importing directory '/usr/share/gnome': missing __init__.py[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#333333]import gnome.vfs[/COLOR]
            Those are just warnings, and not errors. Heck even "warning" is too strong a word. You can usually ignore warnings, it is the errors you need to worry about.

My hypothesis is that bleachbit may be deleting something in the user's dir that is causing this, considering the fact that the program is running as the same user for both normal and admin usage. I can't reproduce this on my 14.04 box, it ll works just fine no matter when and which order I run Bleachbit as user or admin. Now, on my 14.10 box running kf5, et al, when I run it as user, afterward I can't use krunner, edit the kmenu, an a couple other things I forgot to note, as well as being unable to run bleachbit as admin. Until I log out and back in. Makes me think it is deleting a cache or temp file that it would use, or something like that.

Comment

Yes, just a warning. And the more serious one in Post #3, Can't open X Display.

The bug report is posted; did it for 14.04, but it wouldn't hurt to add your name/comment to the list for 14.10, if you have time.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bleachbit/+bug/1377719

"Makes me think it is deleting a cache or temp file that it would use, or something like that" -- Yeah, good idea; the user wipes out what is needed next by admin.

Comment

Vinny, I tried your formula. It worked to run Bleachbit as admin (after I had run it as user prior to logging out). Then I ran as user. Then I tried as admin again, and it failed. Your formula is a lot of monkey motion! Of course, we were just testing .Xauthority. But Ctrl-Alt-Del works to reset everything, as does a re-boot PITA). While at the terminal, for the life of me, I could not remember remove! I guessed a lot of man's, until man rm! rm .Xauthority. I better re-read someone's Konsole how-to.

Why do some with my specs have this, and some with my specs do not?!

Comment

No one else? Maybe not many people are using Bleachbit? This is in 14.04
                  If you do find the issue, I hope you'll post it at the bug place, it would help:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bleachbit/+bug/1377719

Comment

Let's examine a couple things. For those having the problem, please:

1. Perform a successful run as a normal user.

2. Run the following two commands:
                    Code:
                    ls -al ~/.Xauthority

ls -alR ~/.config/bleachbit
                    3. Run Bleachbit as root

4. Run the same two commands as above

5. Run Bleachbit as a normal user -- here's where the failure happens

6. Run the same two commands as above

Post the outputs of all three runs in a reply here.
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 10, 2014, 08:19 PM. Reason: brainfart post -- ignore the advice

Comment

1. Perform a successful run as a normal user.
                      OK, 13.9 GB, 40 files

Code:
                       Firefox cannot be cleaned because it is currently running.  Close it, and try again. 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/kio_help/usr 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/plasma-wallpapers/home 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/plasma-wallpapers/usr 
                       Delete 1.8MB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/ksycoca4 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/kio_help 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/plasma-wallpapers 
                       Delete 10.5MB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/icon-cache.kcache 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.kde/cache-mike-desktop14/ksycoca4stamp 
                       Clean file 0 /home/mike/.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf 
                       Clean file 0 /home/mike/.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/pop.centurylink-1.net/Trash.msf 
                       Delete 8.2kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/pop.centurylink-1.net/Sent.msf 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/pop.centurylink-1.net/Drafts.msf 
                       Delete 12.3kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/pop.centurylink-1.net/Inbox.msf 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/Local Folders/Trash.msf 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox.msf 
                       Delete 8.2kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Mail/Local Folders/xzDaveJ.msf 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/webappsstore.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/urlclassifier3.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/permissions.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/addons.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/downloads.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/formhistory.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/places.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/chromeappsstore.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/blist.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/extensions.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 98.3kB /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/global-messages-db.sqlite 
                       Vacuum 0 /home/mike/.thunderbird/eew828f5.default/content-prefs.sqlite 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/fontconfig/158c65c810c0d352a587f5be66058e87-le32d4.cache-4 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/fontconfig/CACHEDIR.TAG 
                       Delete 24.6kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/E/7B/ACA48d01 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/E/7B 
                       Delete 143.4kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/A/49/6B00Dd02 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/A/49 
                       Delete 102.4kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/8/1B/EB006d02 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/8/1B 
                       Delete 28.7kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/1/20/7115Bd02 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/1/20 
                       Delete 20.5kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/6/6F/336A7d02 
                       Delete 69.6kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/6/44/F58B1d01 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/6/6F 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/6/44 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/E 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/A 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/8 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/1 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache/6 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default/Cache 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird/eew828f5.default 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/fontconfig 
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.cache/thunderbird 
                       Clipboard 0  
                       Delete 4.1kB /home/mike/.recently-used 
                       [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/syslog.1' 
                       [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/cups/access_log.1.gz' 
                       Delete 991.2kB /tmp/nsmail.jpeg 
                       E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied) 
                       E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied) 
                       [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/cache/apt/archives/rsyslog_7.4.4-1ubuntu2.3_i386.deb' 
                       LibreOffice cannot be cleaned because it is currently running.  Close it, and try again. 

Disk space recovered: 13.9MB 
                       Files deleted: 40 
                       Special operations: 15 
                       Errors: 7

2. Run the following two commands:

Code:
                       mike@mike-desktop14:~$ ls -al ~/.Xauthority
                       -rw------- 1 mike mike 59 Oct  9 08:32 /home/mike/.Xauthority
                       mike@mike-desktop14:~$ ls -alR ~/.config/bleachbit
                       /home/mike/.config/bleachbit:
                       total 12
                       drwx------  2 mike mike 4096 Oct  1 17:04 .
                       drwx------ 14 mike mike 4096 Oct  2 10:51 ..
                       -rw-rw-r--  1 mike mike 1421 Oct 10 19:20 bleachbit.ini

3. Run Bleachbit as root

Code:
                       ~$ kdesudo bleachbit
                       kdesudo(18451) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display  ":0"  

Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.  
                       IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon  
                       No protocol specified
                       /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
                         warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
                       Could not open X display

Nope, no go, won't open. Running as root AFTER running as user will not work.
                      Maybe I don't understand what you asked to do.

I stopped here.

4. Run the same two commands as above
                      Code:
                      mike@mike-desktop14:~$ ls -al ~/.Xauthority
                      -rw------- 1 mike mike 59 Oct  9 08:32 /home/mike/.Xauthority
                      mike@mike-desktop14:~$ ls -alR ~/.config/bleachbit
                      /home/mike/.config/bleachbit:
                      total 12
                      drwx------  2 mike mike 4096 Oct  1 17:04 .
                      drwx------ 14 mike mike 4096 Oct  2 10:51 ..
                      -rw-rw-r--  1 mike mike 1421 Oct 10 19:20 bleachbit.ini
                      5. Run Bleachbit as a normal user -- here's where the failure happens

6. Run the same two commands as above

Post the outputs of all three runs in a reply here.
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 10, 2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I completed Step 4 and edited above post #40.

Comment

Sorry, my bad. It's been a whine since I read this entire post and was thinking backwards -- I had convoluted the problem into that of Bleachbit failing as normal user after succeeding as root. Now I've read the full thread and I know the problem is failing as root after running as normal user. The two things I asked for wouldn't show anything useful for this scenario.

Comment

That's OK. :-) Thanks for looking at it.

Comment

Hm. Qq... I noticed this in the output on the console when you attempted the root run:
                              Code:
                              ~$ kdesudo bleachbit
                               kdesudo(18451) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display  ":0"
                              Assuming you're in the current state -- where BleachBit no longer runs as root -- please run kdesudo kate in the console window. What's the output in the window, and did Kate start?

Comment

Yes, same state as above:

Code:
                                mike@mike-desktop14:~$ kdesudo kate
                                kdesudo(18657) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display  ":0" 

Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
                                IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
                                QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                                No protocol specified
                                kate: cannot connect to X server :0
                                (Of course, it asked for my PW at one point and so on; and, obviously, Kate did not open.)

Comment

Working...
                                X