If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ. You will have to register
before you can post. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If you have copied text output that contains formatting (colors, highlighting, etc.), please do not enclose it in QUOTE or CODE tags. Just right-click your mouse and choose "Paste Without Formatting" or similar (Paste as plain text).
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
14.04 is slower on brand new laptop than 5 year old laptop
I think you could try booting into recovery mode and then chose the fail safe graphics option to get you into a GUI and then fix your driver problem.
or wile looking at the grub boot screen and with your normal boot line highlighted press e to edit it ,,,,,,,,use the arow keys to get the curser to the end of the "kernel" line and right after quiet splash add vga=vesa nomodset ,,,,,,then press ctrl+x to boot it .
I ve read Snoghog's suggestion but it seems a bit complicated for a casual user as myself. I am worried I am going to make it worse trying some of those suggestions.
having had a quick look at dmesg, you have a discreet Ati card in the laptop? is that right?
to install the proprietary Ati driver drop to konsole
sudo apt-get install fglrx
to install it,
at the end of that it will compile the fglrx module for your kernel, just confirm that it says something like
fglrx modules successfully compiled etc.
Hey guys thank you for the input. I am not exactly sure what is slowing down the system, I have turned down most of the effects. I am just comparing it to my 5 year old laptop that I replaced with this new (much more powerful one).
Under the driver Manager it is showing 3 options:
1. Using driver for AMD graphics accelerator for fglrx
2. Using driver for AMD graphics accelerator for fglrx-updates
3. Using X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper from Xserver-xorg-video-ati (recommended driver)
There are no errors on boot up.
For example just writing this answer, I had firefox open on one desktop and the driver manager open the other. To switch between the 2 virtual desktops lagged the system quite a bit and it froze for a second. Doesnt seem right with a quad core, 16g RAM brand new laptop.
Ideas for a non-techie?
Last edited by Stosskraft; Sep 07, 2014, 06:58 PM.
i would bet one of my fingers that it's not AMD, not literally, and i dont think any distro is better or worse with AMD.
as suggsted before, examine dmesg and try to figure out what it means, at least some of it, so you can see if anything is wrong. (i had a quick look, couldnt see anything screaming with errors)
how/what video driver?
and it locks up?
one other thing, when it's booting and showing the kubuntu logo, press escape and see if there are any red [failed] during boot
Leave a comment: