This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing terminal window title

I feel like this a bit of a silly question...
    I'm using xfce4-terminal and I love being able to rename windows by double clicking on the tab, it's very convenient. However, I can only do this when I have multiple tabs open, obviously. How can I change the window title without having to open it in a tab first?
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

i dont use xfce, but in kterm and gnome-terminal i belive its in the configuration
    K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
      ...I'm using xfce4-terminal ... How can I change the window title ...
      I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, but xfce4-terminal supports the xterm sequence for setting the window title. Many people use it with bash's PROMPT_COMMAND variable to put the current directory in the window title. In bash if I
      Code:
      PROMPT_COMMAND=""       # I reset this, or it will immediately overwrite my new title
      echo -en "\e]0;The Knights who say Ni\007"
      the window title has the Monty Python reference.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

that command doesn't do anything for me :\

xfce4-terminal automatically sets the the window title to the current directory; there's an option to turn that off in the preferences or change the way it's displayed, but no way to set the title for each window yourself.

surely I can't be the only person using the tab-renaming feature of xfce4-terminal?! other terminals have that feature, too. I use it to make it clearer to myself what each tab is for: I'll have one named "assignment", one named "server" etc. I want to be able to rename single, untabbed windows in the same way. If I rename a tab it changes the window title to the new name, but I can only do that if it's a tab. I'm working around it by creating new tabs, renaming them, then detaching them into single windows. Hope that makes sense!
        "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
          xfce4-terminal automatically sets the the window title to the current directory; there's an option to turn that off in the preferences or change the way it's displayed, but no way to set the title for each window yourself.
          Are you sure? I installed xfce4-terminal from the repos (and got version 0.6.3), and in it I can't find a way to set the title to the current directory;
          I would suspect that it's your shell setting the title to the current directory, because only your shell knows what that is; it's a property of the process running the shell. What is your shell, BTW?

Anyway, if I click "Terminal" on the menu bar the first option is "Set Title...". Maybe you just need to enable the menu bar on the right-click menu and click Terminal -> Set Title. Also, when I start xfce4-terminal I can use xfce4-terminal --title="Norwegian Blue".

If a title is set, then a "dynamically-set" title is ignored; maybe you have a such title set, stopping the echo command setting it.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm using bash. it did occur to me that there might already be something in .bashrc setting the window title, but this is what I see in terminal preferences:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	title.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	642391

I have the menubar hidden, which is why I didn't see the 'set title' option. pity there doesn't seem to be a way to set a keyboard shortcut for it..
            Last edited by dbaker; Aug 13, 2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X