This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to Firefox, abandoning Chrome

After several hours running comparative tests, and trashing addons to see if that was the problem, I've concluded that Chrome, which I do love, is a pig with lots of lipstick. I work with MANY open tabs in my browser. With Chrome, memory fills up such that I must reboot at least twice daily to clear things out and restart, else my machine just creaks to a halt due to Chrome memory leaks. Merely restarting Chrome doesn't fully fix the problem; only a reboot does.

Firefox, on the other hand appears rock solid, fast, and stable even with a ton of tabs open. No visible memory leaks. Not long ago (and earlier today) it was regularly locking up the whole OS, but I shut down all addons, added back the essential, and it's running perfectly now.

Looking at this thread - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-do-you-use - it seems that experience with browswers is very individual, and hard to generalize about. I wish it were not so, but....

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Aug 01, 2014, 08:32 PM.

Agree 100%, firefox is far better, on functionality, memory use, speed and extensions.

If only we had a KDE/QT version of it ...

Comment

Me, too.
      FF is better.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What you'll get here is, those you like FF, will agree, and those that like Chrome, will disagree.
        I for one have tried FF on several occasions, but prefer Chrome.

I have had several tabs opened at once without any of the ill effects you described.
        How much ram do you have, about deleting chrome's cache.

It comes down to a Ford vs Chevy scenario.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Same... seems that Chrom(e)ium is trying to self-implement too many bits of the operating system. I don't care for that.

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
          If only we had a KDE/QT version of it ...
          Qt 5.4 is in the works. One major addition is QtWebEngine. This is an implementation of Google's Blink engine. It's highly likely we'll see this appear in distributions, which means Rekonq (among others) can ditch the mostly unmaintained QtWebKit. Soon, we should finally have a proper and non-crashing native KDE web browser. Woo hoo!

Comment

I agree!
            also use Firefox,
            have chrome installed but dont really have any issues with Firefox,
            love the Firefox Synch,
            and addblock of course
            K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Same experience here.
              When there are really a lot of tabs open, Chrome starts to be very slow, while FF in the same situation rocks on.
              Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
              linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
              A good place to start:
              Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

I've used Firefox forever, never any problem in any sense (except, read on). I have not systematically compared to Chrome. Except one occasion: Took a driver's safety refresher course on-line (AARP, I think; but AAA, et. al., all offer similar). It's interactive, JavaScript screaming hot. Firefox couldn't handle it, it was slow, froze up, couldn't step me through my clicks from one question-and-selection to the next. I called the course rep, she said try Chrome, I did, and the puppy ripped right on with no issues in Chrome (and this was in 8.04.3). Post-course, of course, I resumed my use of FX.

tomcloyd, do you use Bleachbit?
                http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I found that Chrome was limited in the kinds of extensions I wanted to use, and/or crippled those it did offer. And, like Steve mentioned, it was assuming for itself tasks better left to system libraries designed for those tasks. It is as if it was trying to establish back doors ...
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    I've used Firefox forever, never any problem .... I have not systematically compared to Chrome. [...]
                    I originally abandoned FF for the same reason I've now abandoned Chrome - a memory leak issue of some sort.

Since moving to FF yesterday, all problems are just GONE. No need to reboot, period. I can just get my work done. Plus, FF seems to have fewer glitches.

Finally, Chrome's been doing something very bad upon launch in a fresh boot - for at least several months. It starts grabbing a bunch of CPU cycles, for several minutes. This grab doesn't show up in the system monitor, but it sure does in the System Load Viewer I have in the taskbar. FF does not do this. It just launches fast, and I'm in business.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    tomcloyd, do you use Bleachbit?
                    http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
                    I do. I've run it a number of times on all 4 of my hard drives. I need to get a regular usage protocol set up though. And, I have found that the "experimental" features are a great way to bring things to a screaming halt. A reboot fixes all, however.

Comment

I've never had issues with FF either. I've tried moving to chrome to see what the fuss was about but always went back to FF. Agree, Solid!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                        I've never had issues with FF either. I've tried moving to chrome to see what the fuss was about but always went back to FF. Agree, Solid!
                        Just the opposite for me, abandoned FF for Chrome. Keep FF and other browsers as I find not all sites are rendered correctly with any one browser.
                        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                        Always consider Occam's Razor
                        Rich

Comment

Working...
                        X