X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-Screen Keyboard on Login?

Hey guys,

What's the best way to enable an on-screen keyboard at login screen >> ie. how to login using a stylus? I read old posts about using OnBoard or Florence and then enabling them at startup but almost all of the posts I found were for Ubuntu/gnome ...
    www.behance.net/Loadus

Take a look at Virtual Keyboard in KDM, Mint KDE 14 Solved
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks a lot Snowhog, I'll test this right away. I'll mark this solved if it indeed works (seems like it). ^.^
      www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

Well, it got me on the right track.

Kubuntu uses LightDM and /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf that fires up during login has lots of options of doing stuff during login/starting up a session: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~lightdm...a/lightdm.conf

There was a setup-script launch option, but I couldn't get it to launch anything (I don't know much about stuff that happens pre-user-session). But still, progress.
        www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

Launching a script from LightDM works, but you can't see the keyboard on the login screen.

editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
          and adding display-setup-script under [SeatDefaults] will launch your script, example:
          Code:
          [SeatDefaults]
          display-setup-script=/home/loadus/show-keyboard
          www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

Ok, so I didn't find a solution to this, so I decided to make a login screen that has a keyboard myself.

It's crude but it works. If anyone else has similar problems, install the LightDM Webkit Greeter
            and grab the theme here: http://loadus.deviantart.com/art/The-Vault-467506298
            www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

Nice solution. Congrats. This is what is so nice about Linux and Open Source. There is nearly always a solution to any issue/problem.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you, yea definitely the best part about Open Source, if you want something, it usually doesn't take very long to create it and the tools are getting easier every day. ^.^
                www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

Hi, I am very new to Kubuntu, and I am having this same problem. I have downloaded this theme for the login... but I can't seem to be able to install, or where would I extract it to? I am on Kubuntu 15.10

Comment

Originally posted by 1Timestones38n View Post
                    Hi, I am very new to Kubuntu, and I am having this same problem. I have downloaded this theme for the login... but I can't seem to be able to install, or where would I extract it to? I am on Kubuntu 15.10
                    that theme is for lightdm (in 14.04) 15.10 uses sddm ,,,,,,,,it will not work in 15.10,,,,,,,,,unless maby you install ligthdm-webkit-greeter and uninstall sddm ,,,,,,but you would prob. just brake your install ,,,,,,their is a README in the,,,,, "the_vault_by_loadus-d7qca62.zip" but like I say ,,,it's old stuff and for 14.04.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      that theme is for lightdm (in 14.04) 15.10 uses sddm ,,,,,,,,it will not work in 15.10,,,,,,,,,unless maby you install ligthdm-webkit-greeter and uninstall sddm ,,,,,,but you would prob. just brake your install ,,,,,,their is a README in the,,,,, "the_vault_by_loadus-d7qca62.zip" but like I say ,,,it's old stuff and for 14.04.

VINNY
                      Oy vey.
                      Well, would there be a way to convert it to support 15.10?
                      Cause' I'm really stuck on this matter on an on screen keyboard at login. Annoying as heck having to borrow from other PC's to login into my computer.

Comment

Working...
                      X