This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okular is extremely slow

Okular is unusable when opening PDF files larger than 10 Mb ( Smaller files (~3 Mb) can be opened successfully). It freezes for a few minutes when opening PDFs, and then freezes again for about a minute when scrolling half a page. Other viewers ( Evince/Qpdfviewer/Chrome) can open those files ( and larger ones) easily. When attempting to exit, it becomes unresponsive and has to be terminated manually. I have the latest version from Kubuntu repositories, and have already tried re-installing Okular. Can someone please help?

Could be this (?) - KDE Forum: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=109420
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Okay, it seems that the problem is not size, but image related. Okular seems to open mostly textual PDFs just fine, while tiny image documents cause it to die. Also there seem to be some periods normal functioning, when I can open any PDF successfully, until I restart my computer.

Rog132, I don't think it's Poppler related, Evince works fine. Also, the freezes are much more extreme than what is described in your link, I'm talking about three-minute long freezes every half a page, on my laptop with an i7 and 4GB of RAM.

Comment

Kubuntu 14.04 here, similar problem.

File it 4.1MB long; images only at the first and last pages. The other 1360 pages are text, tables and indexes. It is a language reference.

Okular has two modes with this file: (I open this file at morning and leave it in a virtual Desktop)
        - before around 18:00h - It works perfectly;
        - after around 18:00h - Enters the slow mode. Scrolling one single page takes some 4s. If it buffers a few PageUp, it takes forever to be responsive again.
        In this slow mode the System Monitor do not register any significant CPU usage while frozen. Neither network usage. It is like waiting for . Dmesg no not show anything suspect, like a hard drive problem.

If I terminate okular all instances of okular and launch it again, the problem continues;
        If the "performance" setting is changed to any possibility, the problem continues. In the "greedy" option Okular fills 8GB of RAM with something, but nevertheless does not solve the problem.
        If I close all instances of okular, save the file with an alternative new file name and then open this new file, the problem is not solved.
        While okular is slow, if I open the file with evince, evince works fast;
        Could not find any setting that would make it fast again. Turnig off antialias, disable transparency, made zom 100%... nothing.
        Rebooting does solve the problem. Now it 1h past 18:00 and it is still blazing fast, for now, with antialias. Its is a desktop i7 with 16G ram; intel graphics with intel proprietary driver.

Comment

Same here with 14.04, with okular doing "something" and taking minutes to open certain pdf files. Besides, once the file has been loaded switching to a different page takes almost the same time as reopening the file again, that is, a lot. For some reason it worked fine in 12.04 but now it doesn't :/

I'll have to use evince at least for these particular files.

Comment

Working...
          X