This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest dist-upgrade changed system language

Ever since I did a apt-get dist-upgrade two days ago, my system is speaking french again. (I had this problem before and never managed to resolve it.)

<code>

$ ls -lzxy
    ls*: option invalide -- 'z'
    Saisissez «*ls --help*» pour plus d'informations.
    $ find . -namxxx xx
    find: prédicat inconnu « -namxxx »
    $ apt-get install bltsflk
    E: Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier verrou /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission non accordée)
    E: Impossible de verrouiller le répertoire d'administration (/var/lib/dpkg/). Avez-vous les privilèges du superutilisateur*?

</code>

For info:

$ locale
    LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=en:fr:en
    LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_NAME=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_ADDRESS=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_TELEPHONE=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_ALL=

is that "LANGUAGE=en:fr:en" normal? How can I get english back again.

I'm not opposed to french; some of my best friends are french!

I still cannot figure out how to format these posts. I notice at the bottom of the page it says "HTML code is Off". Is that my problem, and how do I change it? Is there doc for the forum posting tools?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Formatting

Ok, I found the way to do formatting. Right in front of my eyes, actually. Remains the language problem.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...x-and-the-GIMP
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Apparently it's a bug, but I had it in 13.something too. Anyway, I've subscribed to Bug #1322968 on Laucnhpad.

En attendant, guess I'd better get used to french....
        Last edited by joneall; Jun 13, 2014, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I also got a problem with the system language settings that started when I did a full update, but it's different.
          Suddenly, it won't let me use any other language anymore than the default system language (English).
          I think it might be better to post it in a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Kawaii View Post
            I also got a problem with the system language settings that started when I did a full update, but it's different.
            Suddenly, it won't let me use any other language anymore than the default system language (English).
            I think it might be better to post it in a new thread.
            That could be annoying too, especially if you need the other keyboard for special non-english characters (éàç...0). Have you checked the locale command, /etc/default/locale and System Settings > locale?

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
              That could be annoying too, especially if you need the other keyboard for special non-english characters (éàç...0). Have you checked the locale command, /etc/default/locale and System Settings > locale?
              I've written about it in more detail here:
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nglish-anymore

When I opened System Settings > Locale, I got the following weird warning:

After this warning for German, I got the same warning for Japanese. Both languages were removed from the language list on the right subsequently. Any attempts of re-adding them failed, it wasn't even possible to re-add them after logging out and loggin back in again or even after a reboot. While the adding itself worked fine and they then appeared in the list on the right, as soon as I clicked on "Apply", I always got the very same warning (see above), with the languages being removed again immediately.

Methinks the last update badly broke the system language settings.
              At least I can still use the German keyboard layout, so I can still input German characters (äöüß) and don't have to deal with weird placements of characters (e.g. z -> y etc.).

The contents of /etc/default/locale is:

Code:
              LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
              So it has the correct settings there, but that is apparently ignored.

Comment

I'm affected, too. No more german language for me (And no other languages, too!!!)
                And KDE could't load my desktop (Folder View), again, so I had to remove ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop to get it working without resetting everything after login.

I hope my parents are lazy and won't update - otherwise they will have a free english lesson

Note: Ahhh, now my Firefox and other GTK programs are english, too, so my mind don't have to switch between english and german - yay!

Update: Seems to be fixed, now.
                Last edited by mrboese; Jun 13, 2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboese View Post
                  I'm affected, too. No more german language for me (And no other languages, too!!!)
                  And KDE could't load my desktop (Folder View), again, so I had to remove ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop to get it working without resetting everything after login.

Update: Seems to be fixed, now.
                  I do not have anything in ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop. It's empty, except for a directory activities which is also empty.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
                    I do not have anything in ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop. It's empty, except for a directory activities which is also empty.
                    I deleted the wrong file/directory,but after login it was working again, so I assumed, this changed sth. (but after reboot it stopped working, again). The correct file to delete is located in ~/.kde/share/config.

After updating, the "Desktop" button is back to its normal position (I changed to default desktop, because I didn't want to repair it everytime I log in). Now, it works, again.

This is a very strange bug and I thought, it's gone with 4.13 (I was affected by it MANY times)?
                    Last edited by mrboese; Jun 14, 2014, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X