X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde apps broken after update

During apt-get upgrade I got the 'unknown media' errors described here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2208433

After multiple restarts everything still seemed fine (this was yesterday afternoon). Late last night I went to take a screenshot using ksnapshot and this happened:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	648204

I then discovered that NONE of the KDE apps would open. Ksnapshot seems to be the only one that gives an error; the others just don't launch. I discovered that I can run all of them from the terminal, however (hence being able to take that screenshot).
    Shortly before the problem started I'd been using KDE apps, such as Okular, without problems. It seems strange that the issue didn't kick in after multiple restarts, but started randomly of its own accord in the middle of me doing things.

Incidentally, ever since upgrading to 14.04 I've been getting 'security updates are available' notifications every day, often several times a day. Maybe there really are new updates available that often, but it's driving me crazy. I also can't figure out how to actually install them. I ran apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade yesterday (the thing that appears to have broken everything), and immediately afterwards got the update notification again. It refused to go away until I used Muon Updater to update, and I'm not even sure what the difference is. Heeeelp
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

I got that message a couple months ago and researched them. It turns out that the "unknown media type" errors are harmeless aand can be ignored. I also learned of an edit that eliminates the error but I forgot what it was. Anyway, the next update of media stuff re-triggered the error msgs, so I just ignore them.

As for your KDE installation it sounds to me like an update of plasma-desktop didn't complete. Open a Konsole and issue

sudo apt-get install --reinstall plasma-desktop

Then log out of the desktop and log back in. Or, reboot.

If that didn't fix it then perhaps another package is partially installed.
    You can do a general repair using

sudo apt-get -f install

repeating until it comes back with nothing to do. Then try

sudo dpkg --configure -a

repeating until it comes back with nothing to do.

Then do:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

to get any remaining updates.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thankyou, that first step seemed to fix it! what's more, everything's much faster now than I ever remember it being.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

not sure if anyone's watching this thread, but I'm still getting notifications about updates way more often than seems natural...anyone else?

Comment

Updates often come in spurts, especially following the release of the Gold version.
          When you see an update notice just open a Konsole and do:

sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

instead of running the muon updater.

In my experience that results in better updating, which leaves fewer packages behind.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

aha, thanks. I was wondering if I needed to run dist-upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X