This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Move to Trash' not deleting files

Hi, I downloaded the ubuntustudio *.iso file and decided not to use it (found this instead: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...kubuntu-studio)

Anyway, I right click on the file in Dolphin and select 'Move to Trash' and the file disappears...

...but only for a few seconds...

Then it reappears in the folder!

I've tried to be quick and 'Empty Trash', but even when it empties the trash it reappears...

I've even removed it in terminal
    Code:
    donald@donald-HP-Pavilion-tx2500-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo rm -r /home/donald/ubuntustudio-14.04-dvd-amd64.iso
    donald@donald-HP-Pavilion-tx2500-Notebook-PC:~$ ls -l /home/donald
    total 44
    drwxrwxr-x  2 donald donald       4096 Sep 21  2009 BBC-POA
    drwxr-xr-x  2 donald donald       4096 May 21 22:04 Desktop
    drwxr-xr-x  6 donald donald       4096 May 27 17:10 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x  2 donald donald       4096 May 23 11:48 Downloads
    drwxrwxr-x  2 donald donald       4096 Jun  3  2013 Giorgio
    drwxrwxr-x  2 donald donald       4096 Dec  8  2012 Isaac
    drwxr-xr-x 25 donald donald       4096 May 22 22:41 Music
    drwxr-xr-x  3 donald donald       4096 May 25 23:44 Pictures
    drwxr-xr-x  2 donald donald       4096 May 21 22:04 Public
    drwxr-xr-x  2 donald donald       4096 May 21 22:04 Templates
    -rw-rw-r--  1 donald donald 2191294464 May 31 18:00 ubuntustudio-14.04-dvd-amd64.iso
    drwxr-xr-x  2 donald donald       4096 May 21 22:04 Videos
    and as you see, it is still there!

What am I missing here?

You can opt to 'delete without sending to trash' by highlighting the file and then holding the shift key and pressing delete. IF your trash folder is set to a size limit smaller than the file(s) you delete 'normally', the action can't be performed. My .
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What's the ouput of lsattr ~/donald/ubuntustudio-14.04-dvd-amd64.iso?

Comment

I believe the problem is solved (?!)

This is a laptop, and I was running on battery...I plugged it in, tried it and...viola...

Code:
        onald@donald-HP-Pavilion-tx2500-Notebook-PC:~$ lsattr ~/donald/ubuntustudio-14.04-dvd-amd64.iso
        lsattr: No such file or directory while trying to stat /home/donald/donald/ubuntustudio-14.04-dvd-amd64.iso
        donald@donald-HP-Pavilion-tx2500-Notebook-PC:~$
        would ACPI have something to do with this?

Comment

Interesting... I rarely run on battery, so I'm not completely familiar with all the differences. KDE might configure the hard drive to delay writes for a few seconds, thus conserving power. A delete is a kind of write, so that would be placed on the queue until the power manager flushes the waiting operations. I feel like I'm guessing here, though.

Comment

you know, I just restarted and I got an error box saying that I was missing that file (which was a torrent, so was originally downloaded to another folder and was moved)...and it asked the torrent question 'do you want to delete the file and its torrent?'

so that may have been the problem as well...

I've had some strange similarities when moving files in Kmail...moving a file from the inbox to a folder, and then the file showing back up in the inbox...weird...

Comment

Were you still seeding the file in KTorrent when you tried to delete it?

Comment

it could have been seeding...I didn't see the Ktorrent icon in the taskbar, but I wasn't really looking either...

It's possible...

Comment

Hmm... if KTorrent still had file descriptors holding the file open for read, then that might explain why the file couldn't be deleted.

Comment

yes, and I had forgotten to 'remove torrent and its data' from Ktorrent before deleting it from the folder...after a day of thinking about it, I'm sure this is what happened

Comment

Thanks Snowhog; very useful trick I was not aware of. Allowed me to delete an old partition backup file in one go.

Comment

Working...
                      X