This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Displaying remote apps locally

So far when configuring and using apps on my server I've done everything from the commandline with SSH.

However, yesterday I started messing around with X forwarding out of curiosity.

From my quick test logging in from my parents' house to the server in my flat (~30 miles away, both internet connections are at least 40Mb/s up / 15 Mb/s down) I was surprised how laggy X forwarding was. The limiting factor may have been the wireless connection from my laptop to the router, but still.

Using compression helped quite a lot, i.e.

Code:
    ssh -X -C samhobbs.co.uk
    But I feel like there must be a better solution. Some Google searches turned up a couple of options:
    • FreeNX
    • Remote Desktop (VNC?)

From what I have read so far, it looks like VNC is not particularly secure. I don't really want to open up a service to the internet that I will only use occasionally that only has password authentication. It does seem neat though, and could be useful if providing remote support for someone.

FreeNX looks like a much nicer solution since it can be configured to use publickey authentication only like SSH, but doesn't seem to have been updated/developed recently.

So... what do you use and why? I get that some of these are more suited to certain use cases than others, so I'm interested in your opinions on that too!

Thanks in advance,

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

I haven't need remote desktop for a few years now, but at the time (circa 2009) the server and client from nomachine.com was amazing compared to X forwarding or any of the flavors of VNC.

Not sure why the FreeNX implementation of NX is stalled.

Comment

Looks pretty slick, it's a shame it's not open source. If possible I'd rather find a FOSS option.

I wonder with FreeNX if it's safe to use, whether it just got to the point where it was good enough and development stopped, or if there could be unresolved bugs or security issues that make it a dodgy choice now.

I guess if it just works within SSH then it's as secure as SSH...
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Nx needs ssh to work . it does basicly something like -X but for a session works really good. what did happen with freeNX latest build on i see on a ppa is from 2012 and the last info on their project page is from 2008..
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

A WAN is not a LAN. (Disclosure: I work for the company that makes a lot of money because of this, haha.) X is not an efficient protocol on the wire and performs poorly over WANs. You might try a faster encryption algorithm, but you likely won't see much of an improvement:
          Code:
          ssh -XC -c blowfish-cbc samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll try that next time I'm home.
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X